Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puzzled by SIRO and Virgin Media

Options
  • 03-05-2024 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭

please redirect me if there’s a simple guide to this somewhere but I cannot find one anywhere on the internet —

I’ve moved into an apartment that already had a SIRO box wired up on the wall.

I used their Eircode finder and signed up for Virgin Media.

They have sent out their standard Hub, which expects to be connected to the coaxial points.

So what should I be doing here to get my Internet setup? Virgin have zero guides to this on their site, Siro have zero guides to this on their site, and searching here just gave me a lot of chat about those two providers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭eggy81

Was under the impression siro is Vodafone only? Are there other cables besides the siro box in the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

The Hub should have come with a setup guide. A five second Google found it online. What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The problem is, as stated in my original post, the setup guide is for a regular coaxial connection to Virgin Media, not via the Siro box

Yeah there’s an old NTL wall box, I’ll give that a try too.
    Siro showed me a range of providers when I used their Eircode finder, not just Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

It seems that VM sent you a co-ax cable router that connects to their old co-ax network rather than a fibre router that will connect to their new fibre network or to the SIRO network either of which would involve the installation of a fibre ONT first.

As there's an existing VM co-ax connection in your apartment (and probably no upgraded fibre connection), that's why VM sent you one of their cable routers instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

The OP did state they have SIRO box on the wall so would assume that's an ONT.

@MJohnston I haven't seen the most recent Virgin routers, by any chance is there an ethernet port marked WAN on it as well as the Coax connector, or perhaps one of the LAN ports says LAN/WAN?

It does sound like they sent the wrong type of modem, they provisioned your order wrong or you inadvertently ordered the wrong product (they may only do Coax in the areas they already served).

If you really want FTTH rather than Coax you might be able to cancel within your cooling off period and order from another SIRO provider.

Yeah I connected to the Coax and it worked fine — so perhaps I made a mistake during ordering or they sent the wrong thing. I'll get onto them (ugh) and try and resolve it, although the speeds through the NTL coax seem okay (471 Mbps on a 1 gig connection via iPhone on wifi) so maybe I'll just leave it as-is.

Any sense as to whether the SIRO connection or the NTL Coax box would be more future proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

The SIRO box would be more future-proof.

VM are slowly upgrading their existing network to be fully fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Raichų

the SIRO will just be more reliable end of story.
    Coax is old fashioned and only virgin use it. It’s not nearly as fast or reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Siro definitely has Virgin Media now too.

Full list of ISPs: Digiweb, Sky, Vitel, Virgin Media, Vodafone, Airwire, Blacknight, Carnsore Broadband, Fastcom, Ivertec, Magnet, Pure Telecom, Telecom and Westnet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do Virgin want to offer you RFOG when a classic HFC install is possible? Their margins may be significantly better selling your off their own plant.

Advertisement