Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is the law on driving in Ireland?

Options
  • 02-05-2024 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

what is the law on driving in Ireland?

Post edited by 5911 on

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Mmmmm...

Don't drive a yellow plate as a Donegal resident would be my hot take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭gipi

A small number of Irish residents (especially near the border) have, in recent years, driven around in cars on UK plates rather than importing the car and paying appropriate taxes. There has been a crackdown on this in the past few years - that's why you got the 3rd degree at a checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I read they are tourists...It's perfectly legit to drive with yellow plate in Ireland while on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

You have 30 days to re-register the car if it was being permanently driven here. I.e being brought here as an import. Which is not what you are doing. My understanding is that a UK car can be driven here by you, as a UK resident, for up to 12 months.

But like anything with Revenue/Customs, I would assume they can assume it's being driven as a non re-registered import and you have to prove them wrong. Like the limits on duty paid booze/fags: in theory, as I understand it, you can move an unlimited amount of duty paid booze or fags within the EU, but there is a limit above which you have to prove it is for personal consumption rather than Revenue/Customs having to prove that it isn't......so maybe its similar here. They assume and you have to disprove.…?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

TheSunIsShining sums it up.Prove you are not here for the longer term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭suvigirl

If you're on holidays and have proof, then no big deal, your car won't be seized.

checks are normal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nothing to be scared of, you had proof of travel and entry, in a few months you will have the same, just a Garda bored at a checkpoint but also making sure there was no confusion.

Advertisement