Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

External Temperature showing -19

Options
  • 02-05-2024 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Just bought a 2021 captur from a dealer, everything's great except for the external temperature.

When I start the engine it shows the temperature correctly then goes down in 1 degree increments to -19c.

It slowly over about 25 mins goes back to the real temperature.

I rang the dealer and they said to drop it in as it's just a faulty sensor but I'm wondering if it could be something more as I thought a sensor would either work or not work

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If sensor doesn't work I believe it can show the minimum or maximum all the time.

I had a BMW constantly show minus 40 until I got it fixed.

If it's just showing the same value all the time I'd say that's what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I had that with a Nissan Qashqai (not dissimilar from your car). Started off doing something like yours and gradually ended up showing -40 all the time. Played havoc with the air conditioning that operated on the assumption that it really was -40 outside.

Nissan service found a wire had come disconnected from the sensor. Took about a day for it to get back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭GavPJ

The outside temperature sensor can go faulty.

Believe it or not it can have a knock effect on your aircon/climate

control and on some cars/vans etc have an affect on your DPF system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Think it's a Renault van that has the ambient air temp sensor within the wing mirror, so if it breaks you go buy an aftermarket part which doesn't contain the sensor.

Down the road have endless DPF/Adblue trouble and think the garage are scammers because they're telling you your DPF trouble is from a wing mirror 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭ofcork

Dont most cars have the temperature sensor in the wing mirror,remember the brothers 156 you could see the little add on to the mirror.

• Advertisement

No. I think the OP's car is quite like the Nissan Qashqai (also Renault Kadjar) and has it in the front behind and slightly above or below the grille (depending on the model).

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭billgibney

It actually works normally after a while

It might be 6 degrees when I turn out the engine but after a few seconds it drops to -19 then slowly back up.

It doesn't do it every day though, it's intermittent

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭billgibney

I noticed that the car was very warm even with the air con set to 19

Yeah, that's the aircon working off the ambient temperature and boosting the heat on that basis.

Sounds like it's a dosgy connection to the ambient temperature sensor. Or a dodgy sensor. But I'd check the connection first.

Advertisement