Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash or Small Mortgage

Options
  • 02-05-2024 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

I've just found myself in the situation where I have to vacate the property I have been renting for many years and looking at rental prices in SCD I think it's time to bite the bullet and buy. Thankfully I have been prudent and have squirrelled away a very healthy lump sum but would appreciate any comments.

I've heard in the past buying with cash was desirable and discounts may apply - is this still the case?
    I'm a single FTB on a good wage - would taking out a relatively short term say <10 year mortgage be more beneficial than buying straight out without a mortgage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I would buy with cash if you can, but in the current market you get no discounts for buying with cash.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Well besides the discount of not paying tens of thousand in interest to the bank. Plus, a cash offer will put you to the top of the queue over similar offers, many buyers would probably take a guaranteed bid of XXXEur-5k over a bid of XXXEur from a buyer in a chain I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

We bought for cash 7 years ago & the peace of mind we've had since then, not having to worry about job loss or interest rate hikes has been priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Depend on whether you can do something better with the money. Only you can answer that. Mortgage will be the cheapest money you can get.

Advertisement