Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floor Tile Removal

Options
  • 02-05-2024 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

I have about 50 sqm of floor tile to clear this weekend. Think it’s ceramic, on concrete slab. Over 20 years old and seems to be down strong as I tried to remove a bit with a lump hammer and chisel but just breaking off.

What’s my best option for not breaking my back? Is there a tool I can buy that will help?

It seems you can rent large jackhammer type tools with a blade. https://hss.ie/g/2159/Floor-Tile-Remover.html

Do I need one of those or can I buy something similar in DIY stores for similar cost?

Any advice or tips welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You need a spade bit for an SDS drill on hammer action only.

Probably cheaper to rent one if you dont have one already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gtv2002g

First of all …that is a lot of tiles to get up FairPlay for giving it a go …..from experience I would certainly rent the big tile remover also dust levels will be very high so proper mask,ventilation and most importantly isolate the area from the rest of house ie tape around door gaps and seal bottom of doors ..if you are lucky most of the tiles will pop up with the the adhesive still stuck to them if not you will also have to chisel the adhesive off the floor and that is were the dust comes from also the old tiles will be heavy so have skip ready

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Did it here before. Second the mention above of how dirty and dusty it is so beware of the need for a very good quality mask, goggles etc. I hired something like you linked above - 4 inch bit. And it's just a case then of going at and the time to keep at it.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Btw if you are in a semi-d or terraced you might want to pop into the neighbours first, you will be at this hours/days and every bit of it will vibrate its way into their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,344 ✭✭✭✭ted1

have you tried a spade? I’ve done it a few times with simply a spade , get one up and then just slide the spade under the rest of them and push them up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement