Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek›Discovery 5x06 'Whistlespeak' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 02-05-2024 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

Star Trek›Discovery 5x06 'Whistlespeak' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Star Trek Discovery: Whisper Shout

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What an absolutely rubbish episode.

Do Yourself a favour and do not watch the first 30 minutes you will miss absolutely nothing.

Actually just do yourself a favour and just skip most of this episode you will miss nothing.

This is basically just the Micheal and Tilly episode. Two of the most annoying charathers ever drama up in any show ever.

Oh I thought Tilly was supposed to be smart. There she is trapped in a chamber with air running out and some small candle fires burning in it. Eh blow them out that will give you some extra time as fires need O2 as well and put out CO2 doh.

Oh ye and MB breaks the Prime directive whoopee lol.

Ye Next episode Moll and Lok again.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭eadrom

God the writing in this show is dreadful. Wee emotional development moments for everybody, at the total expense of the story, pacing, and even the characters themselves. Nothing for Culbur, Book, Stamets, or Tal to do but they're going to chew up some screen time anyway with their "I feel a little funny. Is… is this spiritual 🤔" nonsense in that softly-spoken, tilted-head, soft-smile style.

DS9 did the spiritual thing 30 years ago and, in hindsight, did it pretty damn well too. Bajor had the prophets, Starfleet had the wormhole aliens. No love-loss between the two interpretations, no pandering to the audience about it. Now we're digressed to "oh you can't explain it? Maybe it's spiritual. Some things just feel good ☺️". What even is this show.

Not that the A story was anything I wanted to get back to either. Of course Tilly won the race, why wouldn't she?! She's a main cast character after all. She deserves it.

When tf did they get bionic eyes? Did that just pop out of nowhere or did I miss something?

Edit: Also, a hologram of dead relatives as some sort of grieving tool is gross. And that white-room and the entire Kovich-wizard character is stupid, with his stupid 21st century yellow notepad. Ohhh what a kooky and mysterious dude. Did you know that's David Cronenburg?!?! LOLSORANDOM!!

Really had some hope that they'd manage something worthwhile for season 5. Don't know why I keep hoping. Worse than ever.

Post edited by eadrom on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Right, so unless I misheard at the start, one of their ideas was to find a planet where water was important..I could watch back and find out, but no.

That race was utterly stupid. Run around in a circle, but you're thirsty. Not saying that wouldn't be unpleasant, but it hardly made for thrilling TV. Oh you won? Murder dome for you! Also reminded me of the SNW episode, "Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach", except that was done well.

I think they were/are trying to set up a door for Burnham to be in the academy show. It was subtle, but I think when Tilly said "Oh Michael, we could really use you in the Academy", that was a hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

yea every week i log in here and see what people are saying - nothing inspires me with confidence -

i cannot understand the positive reviews online - every time i google search discovery, i see more and more praise for discovery - and yet most fan forums are full of actual fans hammering the show

My one wish is that they just leave discovery behind and concentrate on SNW -

Il be binge watching this season after the finale ends

And im making a mental note to fastforward this one - i expect il cover the 10 hour final season in about 2 hours my the looks of it

And yes i agree Tilly and Burnham are the worst characters in star trek IMHO - i would take 10 hours of Neelix over them any day

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement

This always makes me laugh - professional reviewers love it - actual audience score - stale, rotten and horrid🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭corkie

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Whistlespeak_%28episode%29

At least they tried something different, if already done better before?

Janeways test in the caves comes to mind for some reason.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Sacred_Ground_%28episode%29

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,323 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yeah thought this last season was shaping up to be at least vaguely passable then you get a stupid episode like this

And as above - CCTV eyes, had to rewind to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing

Think I can manage to finish the last 4 episodes just about

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I would not blame you in the slightest altogether last weeks episode was not so bad. Its about the only one of this season that I might watch again.

And yes I agree Tilly and Burnham are the worst characters in star trek IMHO - i would take 10 hours of Neelix over them any day

Neelix is a pleasure to watch compared to these two. At least Neelix could cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

To be a bit more positive, I do kind of like the Adira c storyline. Like, it makes no sense for a character that has been about for three seasons and on the bridge for most of that, would have been an okay first or second season side story of them trying to find their way thing.I think it got lost in that awful Grey storyline that dragged out, and that actor was not good.

Again, its not fantastic. And I'm really annoyed at how they've dealt with Cmdr Leoben, he had such good potential. But it's okay? More interesting than Culberts religious conversion, the where's wally mystery, and that other storyline? There's honestly not much there.

Also. Seriously. The Holodeck doesn't feel real enough. For Asteroids? And 1970's arcade Asteroids. F**k Off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Um... struggling to find something good to say about this episode... the guest cast were good, especially Ravah (June Laporte).

As for the main plot, more about the level of a so-so Pocket Books Trek novel.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

"Someone needs to win the race. Tilly since you're clearly the more athletic of the 2 of us, you should go"

Oh and aren't they great to have 3 genders and Tilly and Michael know what pronouns Ravah uses.

How is it that Owo and Detmer have been in pretty much every episode until this season and now when it seems they would get more lines, they're replaced by new people getting those lines?

And after spending the full episode trying to find the missing piece, they just do it off camera at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ThIs is why it scores well with critics, it's just so inclusive.

Forget about plots or logic, they are no longer important in a show that literally has science in the name of the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

@ilovesmybrick And 1970's arcade Asteroids.

That was my instant reaction too!

That was an extremely weak and dull episode. I'm not going to waste any more time describing it's many failings, for they are legion!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,681 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What professional reviewers ?

Who is actually reviewing this at this stage except fanboy journalists from sci-fi media.

This week was the first where I actually forgot there was a new episode.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/star_trek_discovery/s05/reviews

If you look there are a large number of positive (or RT 'Fresh' reviews) - but mainly from official reviewers writing for various papers - examples

"Scott Collura IGN Movies

Star Trek: Discovery starts its fifth and final season in fine fashion, setting up another season-long mystery but doing so with enough interesting character developments to avoid the pitfalls... that have sometimes plagued the show in the past."

Christian Blauvelt indieWire

This show did its job. “Trek” is in a far better, more stable place now... And “Discovery” can take a well-earned victory lap before its well-earned decommissioning.

Samantha Coley Collider

On top of a compelling treasure hunt-style story and its complex characters, Discovery Season 5 also delivers some incredible action sequences and truly breathtaking visuals.

So like i said professional reviewers seem destined to throw out meaningless praise which, as an actual fan, i find rather pathetic

Actual fan reviews on Rotton Tomatoes below:

"How is it possible to make a show this bad. It is the Book and Michael show. There is no meat, barely a cast, the rest of the crew play cheering section for the Captain, who is just the greatest thing since sliced bread."

"I didn't think this show could get any worse but somehow it did. The writers clearly know nothing about Star Trek or science fiction. Embarrassing."

"Fast fowarding ,Skip scenes ..I Hate that series"

"This show just get worse and worse. Don’t waste you time. Watch strange new worlds or any other Star Trek instead."

This is why Rotten tomatoes rates the season as 83% certified Fresh - with an audience score of 19%

The reason i mentioned it here, is that i am seeing this more and more, over a large number of shows and movies. Professional reviewers seem to throw praise on many productions. While actual viewers, and the audience in general, usually slam the shows. as a result i barely trust what i am reading now, unless its actual fans, like those on RT or here.

Im not even looking forward to binging this show now. il just get it over with, when its all done and dusted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I don't like Tilly and really do not like Mary Wiseman. But the body shaming stuff is a bit much.

It is cannon that Tilly is a talented endurance runner. She won a half marathon in season two in record time.

The bigger issue was "Hey Tilly. Someone needs to go fix the weather stations. I know you are a skilled engineer who has been shown to be very talented at ad hoc repairs. But I think my xenobiologist training makes me a better engineer. So I will fix the stations. You go win the race".

The bionic eyes where mentioned earlier in the episode. Experimental tri corders.

Stop, they've said that she's nothing but a regular human so no special alien abilities

As a fat redhead I say that she's another fat redhead, that's absolutely fine. That's her choice and no shame.

The annoyance is that they attempt to say that a character as obviously unfit as Tilly is a record breaking long distance runner. It's fecking stupid

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

I agree with you that it is silly. It is frustrating.

For whatever reason. In universe they have decided she is a excellent long distance runner. We don't know why. She just is.

My issue is that her weight it is all anyone talks about Tilly.

Tilly is not a competent Star Fleet officer. She is imature and unprofesional. Imagine the dressing down Picard would give her.

In this episode it is mission critical, that she wins the race. The native was no in danger and Tilly did not know that they would allow a draw.

It also makes no sense having MB go fix the weather things and having Tilly an engineer, complete the race. There is no resonable in universe explanation for it. Also Tilly should have noticed the mutations. Not MB.

On the topic of Mary Wisemans weight. Did anyone else feel embaressed for her. When her stunt double was noticably skinner. Even with the padding.

Well MB must be the best at everone else's speciality...

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Never understood the hate for 'WHEATON!!!!'.

I would have loved to live his life on the Enterprise and everything after.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Plus it means that Tilly is the one in danger later on and Michael has to save her. You couldn't have it the other way around.

Who was it that said in a previous episode thread it will be Michael and guest starring a member of the crew on a mission each episode - seems they are turning out to be right. Bit late when the show is cancelled to be trying to enamour the rest of the cast on us

Post edited by fritzelly on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

are they going to fix the other weather towers

Good god, are you a masochist - you expect them to have written that in to the script when they couldn't even bother showing finding the artefact (the integral part of the season long story)?

He is very smug. It is very hard to like him.

I am sure he is a lovely person, but…..

Ok, well that explains a few things. I thought I had missed something.

I rewound a few times and couldn't figure out how they found it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Its not body shaming to point out how ridiculous it is.

In earlier seasons I'm pretty sure she was struggling to do laps of the ship during crew training?

Having her to be the best bet at an endurance race with limited oxygen is akin to having an armless person enter the javelin contest. Its not shaming, its stupid for no plot related reason other than to be extra inclusive.

Advertisement