Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can a low car battery affect the key fob not working?

Options
  • 01-05-2024 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hello

Last week when I started my VW Passat, the clock rewound a full 24 hours and since then the electric window has been working intermittently, the click won't always fully open or close the window.

Today then then key fob would not lock or unlock the doors, luckily the doors were open so I am able to get in and out and the car starts fine. The red light on the fob flashes when I press it and just to be sure I changed the fob battery and the light still flashes but no response from the car...

Is this all pointing to the car battery being very low and needing replacement?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

More likely the battery in the key fob needs changing, when they run low they can run down the battery in the car in some modern models, especially hybrids.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭User1998

In my experience a low car battery only affects the keys if the car battery is completely dead, even if it has a bit of life the keys should still work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lazyman

Thank you, the key fob light is flashing when I push it and I replaced the battery in the fob and the car still is not responding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,321 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You say the car is starting fine, so the battery sounds ok. You can always get it checked to make sure or you might have one of those battery testers.

If the battery turns out to be fine, then it's either the key fob is faulty or there's something wrong with the car not recognising it or faulty.

Advertisement