Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What has happened Honda?

Options
  • 01-05-2024 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭

A few years back when I went to trade a 182 Civic Sedan for a baby wagon the cost to change to a 12 month old CRV was more than the cost to buy a new RAV4 PHEV. The RAV was a superior car in every way.

Since I notice the new Civic is pretty much not on the market given its price and I have never seen the new CRV.

The ownership experience of the Civic was marred by constantly broken AC and no parts availability (admittedly it was COVID times), but it was a lovely car with full premium plus spec.

In the US Honda is a volume seller. Why don’t they even try here? They did sell a good few in the past.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Their models on offer are limited and are gone too expensive. 50k for a brand new Civic. 70k for a CRV? Comical.

Dealer network is tiny.

Brand marketing here is non existent.

To summarise, the Irish market is small and insignificant to Honda these days because of the above. Like Toyota most of their cars sold in the US are built there, they are a huge employer. They also have a model for nearly every segment there. No import taxes, Euro/Japan currency exchange rates or Brexit to worry about.

Even in the good times, Honda were not a huge volume seller in Ireland.

People are buying cheaper alternatives from the Korans and Chinese now.

Mazda heading the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Sad times alright, I haven't even seen a new Civic on the road at all this year, looks like the high price has put most people off!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mac167

Honda is literally on the verge of pulling out of Ireland it seems, or they are just not very popular at all in Europe after shutting off Swindon. The prices of their new cars in Ireland are horrendously priced, which is a shame because IMO they are very decent cars, just not for the price (Civic EHEV is a good example, close to 50k ffs).

I also noticed that Japanese brand are disappearing in general, replaced by Korean and Chinese. Toyota is still going strong, Nissan is pretty much a Renault clone, Honda/Mazda/Suzuki are pretty much gone, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Some taxes to consider in the US on top of this, but base price is €23,370. You could buy two Civics in the US and have change left over.

I'm not sure of the reason, but necessity of a hybrid powertrain in the EU, VRT, higher VAT, no more Honda production in Europe and low volumes (are JDM cars even different any more?!) certainly all combine do drive the price up.

Interestingly though, the Euro/Yen exchange should help the pricing - but pricing decisions can be made a long time in advance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

I saw my first one yesterday. Nice car, but not at the price. I paid something like 26k for a 12 month old demo one back in 2019 with every possible extra I know things are gone up, but not that much.

The place will be poorer without Honda, no amount identikit chinesium cars will come close to fill the void.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭cobham

Yes I was surprised to return mine for annual service to find my garage is no longer a dealer in Honda. I was told of loss of UK manufacturing base then problems with importing cars from Japan and that cost of parts had similarly skyrocketed.

I love my car, never a bit of trouble in over 8 yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

New CRV about to launch properly in Ireland during the summer. I’ve seen a handful of Civics this year. As you’ve said, a shame as they are wonderful cars for the most part.

Advertisement