Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artificial Grass and planting / raised beds

Options
  • 01-05-2024 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello - wondering if anyone could advise please. We live in a semi-d, new build that is overlooked as is standard these days.

We have artificial grass (eek I know!) for multiple reasons, sadly, one being the grass never grew as the house is build on old bog land and we also have a dog who loves to dig holes so for convenience sake we got artificial grass installed. We have two borders and a large patio that we plant lots of flowers and fruits/vegs in containers, which we love. However the time has come in which we now want to add some more privacy to our garden in general for our child and we were looking at adding in some hornbeam/birch trees. The only issue is that we were going to add in a raised border along the back fence (concrete or sleepers - not yet costed up) and add in a suitable soil mix within that to plant the trees but I wanted to know if anyone has any experience on doing something similar ON TOP of artificial grass.

The grass is very well installed and drains well with no issues since it was laid 4 years ago. So the question is.. can we add a good soil mix on top within the raised borders to successfully plant some trees??

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I doubt this would work as you would be restricting the roots to the space above the grass. If the artificial grass drains well then the soil in the planter would drain very fast as well.
    you would effectively be planting the trees in pots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭standardg60

Not a chance it would work OP, just cut out the artificial grass where the raised bed is going. You can leave whatever base is underneath though.

Advertisement