Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Field Drainage boiling up

Options
  • 01-05-2024 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Hi have noticed that some of my fields that are have a drainage system in place are boiling up and when I checked the ends of the pipes there is no water coming out of the land drainage shores. Any seem this before would the land be just sealed and need to be mole drained or is my drainage system need to be redone? was only drained in the last 20years. Would be heavy land but when the weather dries it would dry out fast but when putting out the fertilizer it hadn't dried like the rest of the land. Still too wet to even roll it to level it out

this is not a great picture but the water is lying in areas that I know there is drainage pipes. This is in my silage ground so its very frustrating.

Anyone seen something similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Katie 2018

Same issue myself this year.on heavy ground.got very hard not to mark the ground when travelling over a large drain in silage ground.is it just a case so much rain has fallen an it taking long time to soak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭limo_100

It probably is a factor but I would this was happening for me the last few years just its very bad this year and I think I would like to get it sorted or at least get a path forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

You'll never be finished tending to wet ground. I'll be draining some ground for the third time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Same here with some shores and moledrains done last summer, they very wet. Maybe land has sealed itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Did you try the ones who unblock the drains, even just for a price?

http://landdrainflushing.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Mole plough when they weather is better could be a simple option

yeah that's what I was thinking when the silage is taken off it If the shores started running again it would probably be a benefit to also plough it and loosen up the soil?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭RockOrBog

Is it hilly land , maybe there are springs in it. I drained 8 acres in 2021 and it turned out well except for one corner where there was a well that was filled in, there are springs there and it's still wet.

Ill have another go at it in June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭older by the day

I always check the mouths of the drain first, and bring 3/4 inch black water pipe and give it a good Roding. Those yellow plastic pipes get blocked with roots In black ground. Most you would free, the odd one might need investigating. It usually where there's a V or a joiner, or where some lad was short a V or a joiner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

Those rushes are from last year or the year before so the problem is not new. Has been exceptionally wet this year so not surprising it's taking longer to dry out.

Keep a close eye on it and it would be worth sticking a 3/4" alkathene pipe up the outlets to rod them though I doubt that would fix the matter. In some parts of the country (not here) the drains can be scoured out by propelling a nozzle with hose attached mechanically up the drains - presumably as far as the first junction. 80 mm pipes should be easier to make headway on than 50/60 mm. Worth consideration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'd the same a couple of years back. Ground very wet in a section with water bubbling up. Got a digger in and the drains underneath were blocked. Fixed that and all working since. However, area absolutely covered in rushes since

What had the pipes blocked? there's no roots near any of my pipes was it just silt? probably better using 4inch pipe for drains anymore with a bed of stone under the pipe first

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thegingerbear

Have you spread slurry in that field? If so, then the drains are probably blocked. If you lay land drains they need to be wrapped in terram or some type of geotextile material and that will allow the water through but not any fine grained materials (soil/slurry etc) and that should ensure no blockages. Also use 150mm diameter pipes and if possible fit access points every 80m in case there are blockages at a later date. These measures are costly but long term it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Are those sleeved pipes good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Dirt and shite. No roots near it. Was out well into the field. When it was relieved there was a lot of orange water came out. I'm told that's iron

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Probably need to use sand stone, as limestone reacts with iron

Advertisement