Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia sportage auto engine stop function

Options
  • 01-05-2024 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

hi all, have a 2016 Kia sportage and it has the button as shown in the image below that cuts out the engine when you stop fully in traffic to reduce emissions etc. however this always comes up yellow on the dash and never actually turns the engine off no matter if I have the switch turned on or off . Randomly last week a few times it turned green on the dashboard and started working properly. Anyone know what the story is with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

Not a Kia, but I had the same issue for a couple of years in my car.

Turns out one of the twelve battery cells was gone, and once I got a new battery it has worked fine since.

BTW, it was a different issue that brought the battery problem up. They were trying to do a remote programming and it needed a full battery charge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The yellow just means it's not available, switched on or not.

Could be a fault with the system or just be a number of other factors, generally these need "ideal" conditions to function, for example if your aircon is working hard it might not function.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Whocare

Probably battery replacement needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

A number of conditions have to be met for stop/start to initiate, AC has to be off, window defrost has to be off, outside temp needs to be above a certain temp, engine has to be warm. Any of these conditions not met and it won't kick in.

Could also be a degraded AGM battery

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Charge up the battery fully and see if it starts working.

Battery not fully charged will cause this along with other conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Make sure you dont have the heated screen function on - on the Kias and Hyundais it defaults to the clear windscreen function as soon as you turn on the car.

Knock it off and if the battery condition is ok it will start / stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is usually battery related. Have the battery tested at any motor factors, it might need to be replaced especially if it's the original one.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭[Steve]

I had this happen with my car (not a Kia) and it turned out to be an old battery from 2014 that just needed to be replaced. Once it was replaced stop-start worked reliably.

Advertisement