Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car advice

Options
  • 30-04-2024 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting a new to me car. I think I've narrowed it down to a 4 door A5 from 2016-2018, 4 series gran coupe of a similar era and a 2019/20 Peugeot 508.

Looking for comfort, good mpg, reliable. Not overly fussed on driving experience - my current car is 20+ years old, so anything will be an improvement.

I drive approx 100 miles return to office for a day or two weekly. Will only be myself in the car for 97% of the time.

I've always driven a diesel and manual transmission. If I get a 508 it will be manual. However with an A5 or 4-Series I could be tempted by an auto box although the options are a bit confusing to me with the audi - 6/8 spd tiptronic, 7spd tronic.

I've mostly ruled out other options, but could be persuaded by a good reason!

So the question really is which of my 3 options would be the best option and which batista within that model should be the one to aim for? They are all around a similar price here in NI, my budget is max £15k, but preferably less.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭goochy

Can you get the german cars on that budget ?

What about a volvo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 508 will be the most modern of those 3 but make sure you are happy with the layout of the dashboard and cockpit. The driving position may not suit you as the steering wheel is very small and can obstruct your view of the instrument cluster depending on your height. Some people can not get used to it. Other than that they are pretty stylish. 2.0 litre diesel would be the one to go for but most out there are the 1.5 litre diesel which is a bit underpowered.

4 Series is the oldest design of the 3 and would be the nicest to drive but that's not important to you. Interior feels dated these days and is a bit cramped. Rear doors are small and have a narrow opening, boot is decent and access is good. 8 speed automatic is one of the best out there.

A5 has the best build quality of the 3, interior fit and finish is typical Audi. Boot is a good size too. Infotainment system feels a bit dated if that bothers you. I think all the diesels from 2016 onwards are DSG dual clutch automatics. Rear space is better than the 4 Series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

@bazz26 the 2.0L 508 only comes with an auto box which has a few poor reviews.

The steering wheel is something that keeps cropping up whenever I read about the 508. I've not sat in one so I think I may try it first.

Yeah, just about. They'd be up the miles a bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

508 lovely drive, probably the most comfortable car you could get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭pah

….any minute now….

Volvo has a bit of prestige but cheaper than Germans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

for 15k - no

• Advertisement
Advertisement