Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Germany... wanting to live in Ireland

Options
  • 30-04-2024 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Hope it's correct to post this here and not in the "work" forum.

I have been working in Germany for 15+ years and in my current job for around 5.

For various reasons I am considering moving back home to Ireland but there is not a lot of work in my niche area of programming….. and what there is pays about half of what I am getting here (which is also not a huge fortune but still). Full time and perhaps forever, including buying a house and putting my kids into school.

I have been trying on google and chatgpt to get a clear picture of how to approach my company with the notion that since I work 99% from home anyway…. that I could just as easily do this from Ireland. In fact due to an illness in my family late last year I was home in Ireland for nearly a month and worked full time from there already.

As my relationship with them is very good I expect they would consider this but I would like to have my facts and options and head straight before I approach them.

Assuming for the purposes of this thread and conversation I do not want to go freelance consultant, or start my own business and bill them for my time, how would I go about living in Ireland and receiving a Salary from Germany.

Since the company has no registered entity in Ireland (it does in Germany, France, Spain and UK) the obvious issue is with public pension, private pension, public health card, private health, and standard tax. Is it massively complex or entirely easy for them to pay a salary and cover those bases? Or to pay me a full before tax salary and I cover those bases myself manually? Is anyone here in a similar employment scenario?

Or is the only option to go through some third party platform like remote.com?

Thanks muchly for taking any time to read this monologue and maybe even replying to it :)

Advertisement