Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus to Croke Park

Options
  • 30-04-2024 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was looking to get a bus from South Dublin to and from Croke Park for the Leinster vs Northampton game on Saturday. I see The Bridge pub and The Blackrock are doing buses, but they’re both sold out. Does anyone know of other pubs organising similar buses?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Luas to top of oconnell Street leaves you a 20 min walk away.

Or hop on the 40, 40d, 41, 33, 16 from parnell Square or gardiner street

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭SomeDude

thanks for that info

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

of take the Dart to Connolly and walk it, or change to a commuter service and get off at Drumcondra.

Loads of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The DART and all rail serving Connolly is off for the weekend, hence these enquiries.

For most Southsiders, the 46A will leave you to Parnell Square, then its a 10 to 15 minute walk to the various Croke Park entrances.

Even better, the 7 Bus from Brides Glen that travels into the City via Dun Laoghaire and Blackrock, terminates on Mountjoy Square, only 5 mins from Croker. Beware though, this is a less frequent service and is likely to fill up fast earlier on its route.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The DART and all rail serving Connolly is off for the weekend, hence these enquiries.

I don't think this is quite right. The line is closed south of Grand Canal Dock so if you can get into town you can get a DART to Connolly and a train to Drumcondra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭crusd

Walk it. Make your way to Ballsbridge for your usual pre match spot. 15 minutes and on to Searsons and stay in familiar territory. Another 15 and on to Keoghs. From there another 15 or so will get you to Brew Dock. The locality is a bit grittier than you may be used to, but pub is sufficiently hipster to ease you into the northside. From here you dive in and go the 10 minutes or so to the Hill 16. From here you should be fully immersed in the area and I would suggest taking your pick from the Big Tree, Auld triangle, Mcgraths, Hogan Stand or any other local hostelry depending on where your tickets are and your stamina. I suggest starting a 12, getting a good feed in and taking it at a leisurely pace.

I'm not interested in life north of Pearse Street.

But yes, you're correct. Although having walked from both Connolly and Drumcondra stations to Croker, its much of a muchness, so there is little point getting a train from Connolly to Drumcondra only to have to walk back, especially if you're sat in any location other than the Hogan Stand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Mod Edit

Warning issued

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭downtheroad

You'd swear this game was on in Beirut. Southsiders are a gas bunch. The wallet inspectors will be out in force on Saturday lads, make sure to comply with their requests.

• Advertisement

Good man Ross.

I do enjoy travelling south of the Liffey to such glorious destinations like Ronanstown, Jobstown, Fettercairn and the likes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Croke Park is a shorter walk from College Green than the Aviva, just for clarity. Otherwise you can get any of the 42s, 27s, 15 or 14 as far as the canal and walk from there (or go one stop further and stop in Gaffney's for a pint for the proper experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Wow, there's an opening line to warm the cockles of the heart 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I know plenty of northsiders that wouldn't have a clue as to how to get to Terenure or Mount Merrion or Dalkey.

People stick to the areas they live in/work in or have a reason to visit. Similarly, there are plenty of people in Blackrock that wouldn't have much knowledge of getting to Tempelogue or people in Clontarf who would be none the wiser about making a trip to Castleknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

The 16 goes from Ballinteer through Terenure & Harolds Cross the whole way over to Croke Park. It stops on the Drumcondra road (at the train station) & from there it's a very short walk to Croke Park.

This completely. I grew up on the northside & would know it very well. I now live on the southside & while I know some areas well to get around, I'd be lost without google maps!

Pity there's no technology available to assist with planning journeys.

I might invent one. I think I'll call it "Google maps", that has a good ring to it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That’s correct. The station that actually serves Croke Park, Drumcondra will be open, as will the rest of the Maynooth, Hazelhatch, and Dundalk lines. The DART will be running between Howth/Malahide and Grand Canal Dock.

I will say that Drumcondra is normally very busy on big match days, and queues can be very long (but move considerably when trains arrive).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Another option is the 46A to Phibsboro', plenty of pubs and a leisurely stroll to Croke Park down the N.C.R. or along the canal from crossguns Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭part time punk

But these people have Google maps, Dublin bus or TFI apps & Internet access. They could figure it out quickly enough surely

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭part time punk

• Advertisement
Advertisement