Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverdance - 30 years ago today

Options
  • 30-04-2024 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭

Do you remember seeing Riverdance that first time at the Eurovision? It possibly seems a bit dated and irrelevant now but seeing it the first time, exactly 30 years ago today, was one of the most stirring and impressive things I have ever seen on tv.

Sorry, typo, I was aware of the date, just made a mess of typing it - twice!

Post edited by looksee on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

30. 30 years ago.

You're going to make a lot of people feel even older than they already are!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

fuckîng hell, I was reaching for the abacus just then…📞 😬🤌🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

My heart! 😄😄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

1994 to 2024 = 30!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

”It possibly seems a bit dated and irrelevant now “

Not a bit of it, it was a phenomenon that launched a renewed interest internationally in Irish dancing. I remember witnessing it for the first time like it was yesterday, sitting there afterwards slack-jawed for a good ten minutes thinking “The hell was THAT?? 😳” before it dawned on me, that’s what my dancing teacher meant when she told me “push the floor down with your feet!” - Michael Flatley bombing across the stage like he’d been shot out of a cannon 😂

I preferred the way they changed the ending for the New York shows in 1996 from the original, and the look on Colin Dunne’s face at three minutes in was the moment he knew they’d done it! 😁

The performance for the Pope’s visit in 2018 was… well, sterile, lacking any of the passion, vigor and enthusiasm of the original performance, it was more like a downgrade reminiscent of the “diddly aye” blandness that had preceded Riverdance 😔

• Advertisement
Advertisement