Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probiotics

Options
  • 30-04-2024 10:52am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Started using probiotics for calves last year and this year more extensively early in the season and we are having one of our better years in calf health.i must confess I know very little as regards the science behind these products and I was wondering has any one more experience and understanding of the concepts. I d prefer not to get into specific brands of stuff in the discussion but any experience of probiotic in use would be good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭visatorro

Tommy the vet had videos up explaining the science. Above my pay grade. I used it this year aswell and I was happy with how calves did. Didn't feed one electrolyte this spring which is unheard of here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭older by the day

I uses yogurt milk, I changed up to keifer yogurt this year as someone suggested here. Had a good year to.

I wonder was it the bad weather, that we were stuck around the yard and had more time for bedding and feeding. Usually march is just throw in the milk and go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I don't know.we had an extraordinary busy February and with poor weather and alot of calvesbeing squeezed into every corner for a spell it could have been a complete sh#t show if something kicked off but they held good.if anything colostrum management was poorer this year with us due to time pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭visatorro

Definitely made a better effort here with early colostrum. And not letting calf suck cow. Wasn't testing colostrum but mostly seemed like good quality

Advertisement