Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get relatively mature small trees?

Options
  • 30-04-2024 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭

Hi there. We recently got a patio design where one of the main objectives is to provide shade to a glass opening into the kitchen.

The designer recommended three multi-stem trees to incorporate into the patio. They are:

• Cornus kousa ‘China Girl’ Multi-stem
    • Parrotia persica Multi-stem
    • Amelanchier lamarckii Multi-stem

Most places online seem to only have such specimens at 2.5m max which would do nothing to provide the level of shade we need.

Does anyone know of any nurseries around the country that provide more mature trees of these multi-stem varieties (approx. 4m tall)?

I've seen fully mature (8-10m) Amelanchier's for 5k online but that is far outside our budget and need.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

usual place i would suggest first is tully's in north county dublin, but i can't comment on what they'd have in stock.

you have very specific requirements, it might not be economically viable for irish dealers to stock what you need in the size you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

That's very true and from contacting nurseries it does seem that attaining these larger sizes isn't the easiest thing in the world.

Hopefully I get lucky as I don't want to wait for a decade for the trees to reach the desired height.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Try Lucan Nurseries. Or The plant Collection in Celbridge. However I think you will need a good budget for what you need. Maybe look for alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Ted222

I presume you’re talking about pot-based plants rather than something planted directly into the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

https://nangleandniesen.ie/

in Cork have different size trees - pretty sure they have all on your list

• Advertisement
Advertisement