Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sauerkraut and Mason jars.

Options
  • 30-04-2024 7:09am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’m sure some people on here make the above. Been to Berlin twice in the last few years and really like sauerkraut, extremely healthy etc etc.

For two people, what size Mason jars am I looking at? Assuming one head of cabbage. One litre? Want to buy two, so when one is finishing up the other is fermented.

Woodies, B &Q?

Cheers.

edit. I see Woodies do them, sorted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Kingslayer

Get kilner jars, some of the cheaper ones don't have a great seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Be careful, once you make Sauerkraut you'll become addicted and start to delve more deeply into fermented foods, soon you'll be researching the best kimchi recipes. Don't say you weren't warned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I enjoy kimchi. Never fermented it…… Worked with a bunch of Koreans abroad many moons ago. Good Kimchi and Korean food.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

(snipped post) v sorry for not addressing your issue

Post edited by Deja Boo on

I’m looking for pros and cons re: Kilner or Mason jars? Or am I over thinking it 😀?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I use Kilner and fermentation weights

Saw two YT videos. One German girl and one Yank. Great to see different approaches/ ideas re: flavourings etc. I’m up for it now 😀. Woodies here I come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’ve only ever seen Kilner jars in Ireland. Woodies have them and Nisbets. I get the rubber seal 500g ones. Easier to store in the fridge.

Straight in at the deep end, 4 litre. Water sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement