Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Glow plugs replace

Options
  • 29-04-2024 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have V50 1.6D, I have a message regarding the glow plugs issue. all have to be replaced. I have all the bits and pieces needed, but lack of experience, never done. Heard stories if snaps, need head removed. Some have driven with snapped ones with no problems. The cars starts with no problem, just lack of boost. "reduced engine performance". All garages are afraid to do it due to the fear of snapping. I have no other choice but doing by myself at some stage.

I have VIDA diagnostic tool, it shows ECM-6620 Glow relay control - faulty signal. The relay is Ok. The glow plugs were checked my a garage, are faulty.

Is there any issues if driven this way, except the lack of boost? Does it affect the EGR valve? I have removed and cleaned the EGR valve a few years back, no big deal, very easy, but glow plugs never. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

I was like that too afraid of my sh1t to replace glow plugs, I've done 3 sets of them in the last few months and they were a doddle. Most recent was a focus with the exact same engine as your Volvo that had 300k km on it, Glow plugs are fairly visible at the back of the engine near the injectors?

Few tips:

Make sure engine is hot, not warm, hot. Unless there's a serious risk of burning yourself then warm, definitely not cold

Clean the area well a couple days before, and get some good quality penetrant and soak the threads every few hours for a day or so before doing the job.

If you have a torque wrench set it to about 15nm and anti clockwise. If the wrench clicks before they've come loose, don't go past that point and they won't snap, just spray more penetrant and come back to it.

I did it this way and they all loosened and came out with the leverage of my baby finger, absolutely no resistance.

Be careful of the black connections on top of the plugs they break easy (will still work with the top bit broken off) use a plastic trim removal tool with a sharp angle at the end of it and try get them from underneath instead of the tabs at the top.

Other than that take your time and be patient,. If you're doing the work yourself there's no clock

Also glow plugs can prevent DPF regens from happening which causes much bigger problems. They play a role more than just helping engine startup in cold temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emy

Hi, thank you for taking time to write down so detailed steps. Two plugs are visible, last two, first two I might have to remove the EGR cooling pipe I think. I bought this car with DPF removed and software deleted and remap done. I did not know about this, only when the turbo failed, I was told by mechanic. It is very bad idea to remap it, even if is done properly, the engine parts are not built to accommodate extra bhp. I have replaced turbo pipes several times…..Anyway I have all the tools needed , even the torque wrench, someone else suggested to set it at 20nm, I think at 15nm will be safer. I have to replaced them, at least to clear the fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

20nm would probably be fine too, as I said I didn't get anywhere near it. All 4 glow plugs were accessible on the 1.6 in the focus maybe there's stuff in the way on the Volvo, the leftmost plug was a bit tricky to get at, had to use a wobbly extension but still grand.

That engine is known for killing turbos, probably wasn't got to do with the remap, it's just a filter mesh inside the turbo oil supply bolt that gets blocked and starves the turbo of oil.

Every engine can handle a stage 1 remap when done properly , cars are built somewhere in the middle so they can operate properly in the colder and warmer climates. Some ECUs on lower BHP cars of the same make and model are toned down from the factory, a remap just brings it back up

Take the filter out of the turbo oil supply bolt if you haven't done so already.

Advertisement