Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the market for the sale of second hand furniture dead in Donegal

Options
  • 29-04-2024 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Due to so many unfortunate people in Donegal having to move out into mobile homes & rented accommodation, is the market for the sale of second hand furniture dead ?

Have put some items up for sale on Donedeal and adverts.ie at bargain prices and have received very few inquiries...

Post edited by DOCARCH on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

So basically you're hoping to sell them through here?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 allrightya

Looking for possible opinions or suggestions...if Donedeal and or adverts are no longer an option for Donegal second hand furniture....I think due to the defective concrete blick crisis ...any other options ..if these items were for sale in other counties they might probably be snapped up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Offer the furniture for free and you'll quickly be rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Same her in cork. Brother moved into a house and literally had to give the furniture away for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I tried to give away a piano for free in Cork a few years ago. Fully tuned and functional. No takers. Had to pay a furniture removals company to take it away and destroy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Another example of the wealth in this country....people are rotten with money....

I have some bargain furniture up on adverts myself....no takers...

People would rather piss away money in harvey normans

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 33,149 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't see why you are linking your lack of sale to the defective blocks in houses?

As others have said, it's hard to shift some things. I recently cleared out my mother's house and was asking a pittance for some very nice furniture. Very little of it sold, gave most of it to charity shops or just had to give it away to whoever would come and collect it.

Maybe you have it priced too high? I am seeing some crazy prices on Gumtree and the like for well worn sofas, tables etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Charity shops are full of nice furniture from house clear outs these days - lots of nice antique pieces show up too but go quick.

Furniture like yours OP will sit for a while - drop prices and try Facebook marketplace is my advice.

Adverts and done deal are not great for selling anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭batistuta9

It's very dated looking stuff that's your problem

Give it to the SVP or a men's shed, they could upcycle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

People buy new furniture rather than dust their old furniture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My neighbour (Dublin, not Donegal) has some great pieces of furniture dating from I think the 30s and I showed photos once to a guy who deals in secondhand furniture. He told me they were worth what he'd probably have to pay someone to help him carry them down the stairs. 'brown' furniture is not worth much at all these days.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Closing this thread as not really relevant to Construction & Planning!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement