Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why has Liberty become unfriendly towards customers?

Options
  • 29-04-2024 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭

I have had Liberty/Quinn car insurance since I returned to Ireland in 2016. I had Quinn for periods while living in the U.K. I have two cars and two policies. They have had a systems change, the can communicate with me re each policy on a single email address but cannot allow me to access them via the online portal unless I allocate one of the. To a different email address. That’s clearly an IT issue but it leads to customer problems.

like a lot of insurers, they have encouraged us to print our certs at home. Annoying but fine. Now they tell me that because their system has changed that the cert can’t be accessed prior to the renewal date. As I’ll be on leave then and for a few weeks, I won’t be able to display the disk on the car on the public road irrespective of whether I have paid for it or have the facility to print it out.

I am told that this has been progressively introduced since the middle of last year.

lastly, the people on the telephone seem to have changed from being knowledgeable and helpful to not having a clue whatsoever. Still the same Cavan/Fermanagh accents so I don’t think that they’ve had a wholesale change.

Pretty stupid as it moves it from a seamless renewal process where I would not necessarily shop around to one which makes me want to pay more not to have to deal with them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,578 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ireland simply doesn't like you having more than one car and more than one policy in your own name. I have 4, 2 vintage and 2 normal policies in my own name and it never seems to work by the book. Like yourself I'm with liberty for the 2 daily policies, luckily I used 2 different emails so the seamlessness seems to work as they have auto renewed for a few hundred each each year for the last 2 renewals without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

IIRC they still have to send out insurance certs. I've no printer so always get them sent out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Try adding +something to the end of your email address for one of the policies, anything between the + and @ should be ignored by email systems. e.g. myemail@gmail.com and myemail+second@gmail.com should be the same from an email system point of view but should allow separate accounts for accessing your two insurance policies online.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can even put full stops in Gmail to get different email addresses. My.email@gmail.com will go to your inbox.

If you are using Outlook you can set up aliases, I can never remember how I just Google it every time.

Used to use the Gmail trick for Amazon prime but it stopped offering me free Prime eventually, then went with Outlook aliases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

to arrive substantially after the renewal date.

• Advertisement

I do understand that I can create multiple email addresses. I am commenting that it was not necessary for that insurer in the past, ie how they have regressed rather than progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I used to have a liberty policy for my motorbike but found them evasive to deal with. Switched to AXA [car and bike] and found them even worse! Insurance in ireland is…a bit you know yourself.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Customer service generally has gone to the dogs. There is an ever increasing number of companies dealing with the public who have reduced their 'customer service' to virtually nothing. Vodafone, Greyhound (bins) and Aer Lingus are uncontactable, there is no phone number you can call to talk to a human and most of them don't even have an e-mail address to which you can send your query, you have to talk to a robot.

If you ring one of the insurance companies, you have to listen to an endless series of legal messages and then go on hold for 10-15 minutes.

The one that cracks me up is that insurance company so and so 'is regulated by the Central Bank'. Yeah - so was Irish Nationwide and Anglo-Irish Bank.

actually they were regulated by the Irish Financial Servuces Regulatory Authority (remember the thin man with the little tache on the news) before being subsumed into the CB.

Advertisement