Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Island GC

Options
  • 29-04-2024 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭

Anyone played The Island since the Martin Ebert changes in 2020?

Thoughts?

If not, did you play it before the changes?

Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

The third was better as a par 4. The new par 3 4th is a nice addition and is close to the quality of the old ninth but losing the old 7th and 8th which were holes full of character to, in particular, a rather long and bland new ninth was a terrible shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Played it recently - and had not played it in a long time. A course I love - so would really enjoy the opportunity anyway - despite any changes.

New par 5 is too short - was a great par 4 before - so I can't see point in that change . point was made about the number of par 4s in a row and needing a par 5 - but a par 5 needs to be a par 5 - was driver and mid iron for most.

New par 3 is class - giving it that signature feel most course at that level have.

Felt the old 8 was a great hole - and not sure i can see it as an improvement.

The new 9 - feels a little out of place - can't put my finger on it - but it is only one that you look at an go that is a new hole.

The holes it replaced was quirky and I like odd holes - but at same time - the road was in play was too tight and can see why anyone would like it taken out in a redesign.

I know it was only a temporary hole - but I really liked the green complex on temp par 3 - 9th.

Anyway - I'm only a tourist and I'm sure there are good reasons or long term ambitions for the changes that I do not know about.

Still like a 9 out of 10 experience.

Only issue I have is that place is hard to get out on and is very expensive - but that is the world we are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Never played it and it's been on my wishlist for years but it's not the easiest to get on I would say. I haven't checked in a while but I presume there are still no opens or scratch cups?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I played it before and after the changes. The 4th hole is a beaut, I believe that hole was there for a long time already so has a long time to bed in and feels natural.

The 3rd hole can't be considered a new hole. It felt like a par4 on the links ground with the wind behind, there's nothing wrong with a par71! Somehow the hole didn't feel as amazing as it "should".. ? I wonder if another teebox moved closer to the sea on the 3rd would improve the feeling of the hole a bit? Or maybe I just played it poorly. The old 4th used to have a teebox that almost backed onto the beach, with that now removed to accommodate the changes, I think the sea brought in more for the 3rd tee could be a good move.

The left of the 7th green was very soft, obviously a sign of the wetter than normal winter, but that hole was unchanged (I think?) As a popular collection area for balls that's probably my only criticism of the course on the day.

8 and 9 I feel are strong holes now, on what could be considered the least interesting part of the course, which is an achievement. The back nine is still the best 9, but I think the front nine has gotten closer now.

The course speaks for itself, but it is a very expensive greenfee. Having recently played old head for around the same money, I felt the clubhouse experience there far and away superior, lunch on the incredible patio at old head felt special in a way that the island clubhouse could not. I had some friendly chat with members of the course in the clubhouse afterwards at the island which did made me feel it was a course that would benefit being a member of.

Advertisement