Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gypsum or alternative for lawn compaction

Options
  • 29-04-2024 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was doing some research on trying to sort out my lawn and saw gypsum recommended for treating the compaction of clay soil. I rented a hollow tine aerator last week and the cores that came out were like glue, had to wait 5 days for them to dry out sufficiently to rake out. Next thing I want to do is rake some gypsum or alternative into the soil to see if it will help further before I scarify, compost and over-seed. The problem is I can't seem to find anywhere local that sells gypsum so I wonder if anyone can recommend a more widely available alternative or some supplier that maybe doesn't have a good web presence? Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭standardg60

Use horticultural grit instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 casper7s

sawdust or crushed bark, but nitrogen fertilizers must be applied at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Would a bag of ag granular lime not do a similar job.

Advertisement