Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lens

Options
  • 29-04-2024 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

All,

I have a Canon EOS 4000d.

One of the kids plays rugby and the standard lens is too short to take decent pictures during the match.

Looking for advice on a good, but starter level, lens that I could use to get better shots.

Any advice on what to get and where to get it (v open to 2nd hand) would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

By "standard lens" you presumably mean the 18-55mm kit lens ? If not, you'll need to tell us what you're using at the moment.

For field-sports pictures taken from the sidelines/stands, you'll need a zoom lens. Which one, though, depends on how close you want to get to the action - or not. There's no point opting for too much zoom and then finding that you can't get the whole scrum into the frame when they're a few metres in front of you.

My general purpose zoom lens is Canon's own 18-135mm. Although I do have others with a higher focal length, I generally don't use them for shooting any scene that's not pretty static. For the most part, if I need a "better" photo than the 135mm is capable of providing straight out of the camera, I can make it so with appropriate cropping afterwards.

That said, when it comes to sports photos in particular, getting better/great photos relies at least as much on getting yourself into the best position as it does on your camera/lens combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭bullpost

https://connscameras.ie/used-equipment/lenses-for-digital-slrs/

Lots of options there for all budgets - See the 75-300 for example.

Advertisement