Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat pumps in council houses

Options
  • 29-04-2024 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi. I’m writing here to see if anyone else is having these issues and may know what can be done about it. Not sure how to even use this site yet as I created an account just to post this.

We live in a council house and some months ago all the windows were replaced which was great. They keep the heat in amazingly. Here’s the thing. We were also forced to get rid of the fireplace and install a heat pump. The costs were covered by the council which also sounded great, we’re thinking we’ll be more energy efficient and save on oil and coal costs. Now since the heat pump has been installed we’re faced with massive electricity bills.

We weren’t fully taught how to use the heat pump and not gonna lie I don’t fully understand the instructions online and my neighbours are saying the same thing .

My electricity bill used to be very low maybe Max 100€ every two months now I’m paying over €200 every single month. I’m paying more than if I were buying coal and oil. The costs are making us struggle and I’m annoyed there was no choice to keep the fireplace which had a back boiler installed heating the whole house when we chose to sit and relax in the living room. Now that is gone (including the atmosphere). There’s no one to turn to and I’m not sure who to complain to about the high costs of electricity which are really crippling us. We were told we would be better off with the heat pump, the house would be warm and we’d save money on oil and coal, yet here we are.

If anyone had any advice please let me know what can be done.

By the way we have asked the council to send someone to show us how exactly to use the pump and what the best setting could be. The worker that showed up more than once was always apologetic saying they were never taught how to use it just how to install it and they simply don’t know what can be set up to lower the costs.

Advertisement