Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtaking question

Options
  • 29-04-2024 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Was driving here the other night. I was where the silver car is in the photo. A car that was fully behind me in the left lane, overtook on my left at around where the merging arrows are, pretty much cutting in front of me. I was conscious of it behind me so was driving at the speed limit, not slowly. It seemed pretty dangerous but I'm not sure if it was actually breaking any rules?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It;s a 2 into one merge, where, in the absence of any signs to the contrary, the usual give way to your right applies. Thus you had right of way.

The car on the left is merging into the driving lane which you were in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, it's up to the driver of the other car to merge safely, especially as he or she started out behind you.

if they had the ability to merge safely behind you, that's the option they should have taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The thing is that most drivers don't have a clue how to use that merge lane, most think it's an overtaking lane so they will come flying up the side of you and overtake then force you to allow them into the lane…

Like in the picture below, starting off at the M50 entrance before it merges into 1 lane you will get drivers taking a flier up the merge lane to force their way in front of you like the white van:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

See, in slow moving traffic that van isn't doing anything wrong. Zip merging makes best use of the available space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The van in my example overtook the other cars in the merge lane instead of slotting in carefully, and what happens further up the lane when it merges into one is you get vehicles bunching up and a danger of collisions:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

In busy slow moving traffic it makes sense to use both lanes. However, traffic in the continuous lane legally has the right of way. The onus is on drivers in the other lane to merge safely.

UK Highway Code

Rule 134

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.(MyBold)

Regularly I use such a layout, and see people who obviously believe the ending lane is an overtaking lane, they pass the maximum number of cars, then force their way in, fully expecting the driver in the other lane to give way.

If I'm in the continuous lane I have always given way, but only under protest - might give a wee beep.

The polite, correct way would be to slow down, match the speed of the cars then safely merge. If one car is not willing to play "zip" then wait for the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

Yes, there are assholes, but I'd prefer to let them in and curse them from a distance, than what?…assert my right to the lane and have an accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

That start of the M50 merge lane. I was in the left side driving lane and a guy in the merge lane a full car and a bit behind me beeped me, and then was of course furious as he later passed me, when the merge lane ran out before he could pass me. I assume he thought I 'blocked' him or some other idiotic driver reason.

I always let them in but show my displeasure by blowing the horn.

Did have a works van once, he replied by giving me a brake check. Sent the dash cam to the company, explained the rules of the road regarding lane changing and a dangerous manoeuvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What good can come from using the horn? Do you somehow think it will change the other driver's future behaviour?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Hi,

It might, Perhaps he might think twice before repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

And pigs might fly. All you are doing by sounding the horn is inviting road rage.

Not your ornery onager

Most people who cut in obviously believe it is OK. Perhaps they might re-consider next time. No big deal. The van driver will definately be more careful next time. At least his boss said so.

Advertisement