Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alternator output voltage

Options
  • 28-04-2024 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I'm looking to find out what voltage output others are getting from their Alternator on tick over and no load. I'm getting 15.0 - 15.2. I think it may be a bit high.
    2010 FORD Galaxy Mk2 (WA6) 2.0 TDCi 163 hp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭JamBur

Sounds high alright. Why are you checking it, have you had electronic failures?

14.5 to high 14 is normal range

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Shoog

Yep thats high should be around 14.5V

Theres a voltage regulator on the alternator and thats probably blown. Don't think you can get them separately. Might well be cooking your battery.

how are you getting your reading - if its a LED voltage meter that you added they can be quite inaccurate so you need to confirm it with a voltmeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

Ford and many other manufacturers use smart charge alternators, so anything from 12-18v can be considered normal depending on what the ecm is requesting

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JimmyTee

Had a flat battery

Because I had a flat battery (7.3 volts) the other morning for no apparent reason. The car also seems to throw up the odd error from time to time lights failure, misbehaving Bluetooth, low key battery etc.

• Advertisement

This is why posted the question. I'm unsure if my alternator is bad, it's time for a battery change anyway I just didn't want to fry a new battery or electrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DRedford

16v is the highest *continuous* tolerable limit for most lead acid batteries. It is not ideal as it tends to boil the battery over time (which needs to be topped up with distilled water).

Fine for the short term but needs to be addressed.

An update to this, I replaced the battery and the alternator output dropped to 14.9. so it appears the alternator was compensating for a bad battery. Some other electrical gremlins also disappeared.

Advertisement