Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NordVPN speed

Options
  • 28-04-2024 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi,
    NordVPN (local server, NordLynx protocol) reduces my broadband speed by 50% (tested with multiple runs using Ookla).
    It may be a difficult quesiton to answer, but would ExpressVPN be any better? I am thinking of signing up for a month to test it but was wondering if anyone else did the same…thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

What speeds are you actually getting with /without VPN on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

I'm on eir 1GB plan. I get around 980 Mbs without NordVPN and about 500 Mbs with it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

I would have thought 500 Mbs over a VPN was pretty spectacular? I'd doubt you'll do any better with a public service ?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

I'm not sure what you mean by "a public service" but I didn't know if losing 50% of bandwidth to a VPN is normal.
    So I was wondering if it was just a NordVPN thing or whether I'd experience the same with ExpressVPN, and was seeing if anyone else had used both products.

Or is anyone using ExpressVPN, prehaps you could post your with/without VPN speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I use ProtonVPN currently I just got this result on my Starlink connection, which is pretty much my usual non-VPN speed:

Having said that, looking back over my history of speed tests while using ProtonVPN, I've had one down as low as 40Mbps and a bunch of others in the 140-ish range.

It's likely a result of the loading on the server I'm connected to. I can tell that the test above was run while the server was at ~25% load. I would assume that the 40Mbps speed may have been run on a more heavily loaded server.

• Advertisement
Advertisement