Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are internally routed cables meant to 'cross' over each other??

Options
  • 28-04-2024 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Taking on the task myself of installing new derailleurs (front and rear) as well as the cables that go with them Going to leave brake cables completely out of things here - I've got those figured out.

When I look at the handlebars, the left hoods (from my perspective) look after the front brake and front derailleur. For the right handle bar hood, he takes care of the rear brakes and derailleur.

Note that this is how the bike came back to me from the LBS (some time last year). The bike looks a little grubby in the pics, sorry!

Each cable enters the frame on the hole 'opposite' to it - I understand that the reason for this is to make each cable as long as possible and to provide a little extra slack?

When I look at the little bit of plastic for guiding the cables to where they need to go, it seems (logically) that they are crossing over other inside the frame? Here, I'm holding them it in the photo using the same orientation used when screwed onto the bottom bracket area.

Is this normal? See pics. Or am I a bit dim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Swap the routing in the second picture and you'll be sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭galwayguy85

I had figured that that could be a possible solution, but the consensus online seems to that the front derailleur enters the right of the top tube etc (and vice versa). Is that how things look on others' bikes?

I reckon I'll stick with how Park Tool suggests how things are done. Just surprised somewhat (now, all of a sudden) the two cables cross over each other.. if they don't touch each other it may not be a big deal.

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help/cutting-and-sizing-cable-housing

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Cables crossing over is fine.
    They will touch inside the frame but it’s no harm.

Cool, thanks for putting my mind at ease. Upgrading my bike (without a giving cent to the LBS) has been a true 'journey'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement