Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2013 Focus 1l Ecoboost Clutch/Flywheel

Options
  • 27-04-2024 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all. Mother has the Ecoboost Focus, 6 speed manual, and the clutch is fairly bad. Revving in every gear in low revs, up to about 4000 rpm. Sometimes the Service Now light comes on, but disappears after a restart. The previous mechanic hooked up the diagnostics and said it does need to be changed, so it's booked in. Quoted €1100 for clutch, flywheel and labour. It is what it is.

But of course someone's brothers uncles aunts cousins friend said that the flywheel "should last 20 years", so she's questioning it now. I was under the impression one does both as its just as easy to do them together. IIRC there's about 180,000 km on it.

We already had war with the dealers over the head going due to some known issue, eventually replaced/fixed and 2 cats also as a result (they initially diagnosed it as a cat issue only, but it was some know issue due to a leak). I personally hate the car, pure cheap feeling and loads of issues. Want her to get rid of it tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

1.0 ford ecoboost has some of the worst reliability around.

A flywheel should absolutely not last 20 years, if it has a single mass flywheel (SMF) it lasts considerably longer than a dual mass flywheel (DMF)

DMF's do need to be changed regularly enough but for a small petrol engine if that's what's fitted, it doesn't have a tough job calming those vibrations so should last a bit longer. Unless there's a fault with them I'm not aware of.

Just ask the garage to contact you if they notice any play in the flywheel when they remove the clutch, it's usually very obvious when they're gone bad but you could ask to send on a video if you're paranoid about them screwing you for a flywheel that wasn't needed

From your description it does just sound like a knackered clutch that's slipping.

Personally I think it's a false economy to not change the flywheel when the gearbox is opened up because you could change the clutch and have the flywheel go a year or 2 later and have to pay the same money all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭User1998

@Henry Ford III Well well well, another Ecoboom engine with a cracked head. Please tell us again how reliable these engines are

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Already did. Failures happen. No engine is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Thank you for the replies. I'd be in the same boat, if the clutch is goosed one might as well do the flywheel while at it. Unfortunately I don't think I can convince her to change (was the last thing dad bought before he died), but it has put me completely off Ford, and that's after knowing how legendary the Mk3 Mondeo was (at least the 2.0 diesel one anyway! Great car).

Advertisement