Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented house and storing a gun

Options
  • 27-04-2024 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a work colleague, who I'm indoctrination into target shooting. He's loving it so far. So much si that he wants to get his own gun.

But he's in a rented house and his landlord isn't keen on him installing a safe.

What are his options for storing a rifle elsewhere? For instance, could he license the rifle at my address? I think he has to be the only one with access to the safe in that case though?

Trying to come up with a viable,and, most importantly, legal solution for him?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JP22

He licenses the rifle at his normal address but uses your address for secure storage. see FCA1 form.

Yes, he can store in your house if your security is adequate plus he uses his own safe with sole access to it.

Depending on what club he's a member of, he can store rifle in club armoury, he'll have to pay for storage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

AS long as the firearm is stored in a locked and secure area, and he is the only person with a key/access, then it is ok. If you were to install an extra safe in your house, where ONLY he had a key, then this would be ok.

Be aware of recent case where gardai came and accessed a firearm, in a safe, where FAC holder was not present.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭alanmc

It's a bit tricky as we both live an hour either side of Midlands. He'd have to come up to my gaff and collect his rifle.

Could we both license the rifle? So I could just store it in one of my safes?

If I were him, I'd just move house:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Could we both license the rifle? So I could just store it in one of my safes?

Yup,Very possible and doable and probably the easiest way out.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement