Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone gone for the all-road one bike option?

Options
  • 27-04-2024 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭

I've been watching YouTube videos from this Sea Otter bike show and virtually every bike on display is the same. Endurance geometry more suited to ordinary people than pro racers. Clearance for 40mm+ tires to take on some gravel if need be.

Like many on this forum, I have a whole fleet of bikes - good bike (Giant TCR, Ultegra Di2 disc with carbon wheels), winter bike (Genesis Equilibrium), gravel bikes (Genesis Croix de Fer and Winspace G2 which I've just built for no reason), and a Cannondale CAAD12 rim brake.

Has anyone gone from a similar set of bikes to just one? Or would you be losing out somewhere? I don't race but for example if I'm joining a fast group I'd always want to be on my TCR. I'm often considering cutting down to max two bikes but feel I would still want a good race type bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I think the terms are becoming redundant and should be changed to "expensive" bike and "cheaper" bike 😊. Largely cos they're all good bikes now and they can all take wider tyres for gravel or rougher winter riding. But I suppose what you don't want is to subject your poshest derailleurs and frames and carbon wheels and hubs etc to the punishment of winter or gravel use as well as the cost of replacing bits as they wear.

So you could definitely distill down to 2 bikes - good and better, or whatever nomenclature you choose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I could but I don't want too is the honest answer. Bar jumps, my MTBing is light, I could in theory get away without it but I'd restrict where I could go severely. My commuter is just a SS CX bike, my race bike is faster than my CX bike but I ain't winning races anymore so is there a point.

Long story short, I could distill it down to my CX bike with two wheelsets and it would cover 99% of what I do reasonably well. I will distill it further and say, I don't want too, you can't make me.

Basically a modern CX bike can cover most jobs very well but a fleet of decent bikes will do everything really well. They also provide back up for emergency flat tyre reactions in the morning..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I've been stung by a flat going out on the morning, having a few bikes is handy in that situation.

Totally could have less bikes, but all of them do a job really well. It's handy for parts too, when I get a new second hand frame I can transfer bits.

The parts bin however is getting a bit out of hand. And it's physically impossible to get rid of wheels. I'll fix them all some day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

Went from 6 bikes to two and a half. Found I was spending a fortune either repairing or upgrading. Kept thinking I should have been on bike A instead of bike C etc when on a spin.

Now have a road focused bike and a MTB focused bike, both with good levels of kit.

Nick the lads hardtail to go to the pub 😎

Don't miss the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've never managed to nail down the multiple wheelsets - always seems to be something "off", either brakes or indexing. Not badly, but enough to be irritating when really the weekend spin is my main outlet for the week!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

100%, particularly with discs, I have to realign them if swapping wheels. They are still usable but there is always a slight rub

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Shhuuuuuusssssh!

Enough of this 'one bike' talk. We don't want the ladies in our lives to know we can get away without have a fleet available.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I find it grand, the thru axle ones are better than my qr's.

Ssssuuuussshhhh!! .... '... we don't want the PARTNERS in our lives...'

Not all women are anti n+1!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've tried it before where I had a road and gravel wheelset on a Genesis Croix de Fer. I had the exact same DT Swiss hubs, same cassette and even had to change the disk rotors, but once I did all that, it worked perfectly every time. Think if I was ever attempting the one bike idea again, I'd go for the exact same setup for both wheelsets, or identical hubs and rotors at least

Advertisement