Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large number of my posts have disappeared - Deleted or System issue?

Options
  • 27-04-2024 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

I was recently looking for an older post I’d made in the Russia thread in Current Affairs when I noticed that a significant number of my posts had disappeared, both there and in the After Hours forum. I can, begrudgingly, accept that the missing posts in the Russia thread got “caught in the crossfire” of trying to keep that thing somewhat clean, although I do believe at least one of the nixed posts contained some very important context. However, the disappeared posts in After Hours were literally just holiday shots of a couple of my recent trips in the “Wherer’s” Thread. I can’t imagine that they violated any of the Rules of this platform, I did not get any notifications about the pictures being too large, and we’re looking at at least two different time periods (September/October 2023 & December 2023).

The one thing I’d like to know first & foremost is if these posts disappeared because of a technical issue, or if they were deleted, particularly the ones in After Hours.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No-one else has reported any missing posts recently, but as always with Vanilla technical issues can never be ruled out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'm guessing re the posts with photos that it was some glitch with the recent update.

I know I didn't delete them, I doubt if any of the other AH mods did either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The recent update did mangle the display aspect ratio for a bit, but that's fixed now already. It wasn't reported that any went missing though.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,522 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have looked through deleted posts in the Russia thread over the past couple of weeks, and there are none of yours thomil

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭beeker1

I'll second the poster , many of my posts no longer appear , and while I'm at it , why can't I post regarding the Spanish student post on the safety of studying in Dublin ! If boards want an echo chamber then choking off posters is the way to go !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭beeker1

"Vanilla technical issues" , a euphemism for bias !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭thomil

Thanks, Beasty, Hilda and Spears for getting back to me.

One thing that did cross my mind with regards to the posts that went missing from the wherer's thread over in After Hours. All of the posts that went AWOL there were very heavy with pictures. Could there be some sort of automation active that automatically removes such posts after a certain time to reduce demands on hosting and bandwidth? Just trying to find some sort of explanation here so that I know how to head this off in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭thomil

Thanks 🙂

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Hi all,

Thanks for flagging this with me. We had an issue with another users posts going missing recently. This may be related to whatever happened to that user. Vanilla has since resolved this and reinstated the posts. That was a specific request for a single user, I will make the request on your behalf now thomil.

I do not have a definitive answer as to how or why this happened as it is still being investigated. I will link straight back here when I have an update for you.

Have a good Wednesday everyone!

• Advertisement

Is there any idea of how widespread this could be? I haven't seen any other reports of it, but that could just mean it wasn't noticed yet if the posts are all older ones.

I'm not sure? Vanilla seemed baffled by this and they are still looking into it. I guess if it was a widespread thing we would see big numbers being affected. This is only the second report that I have come across.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement