Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go It Alone & Compliance

Options
  • 27-04-2024 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Morning all, Newbie Here!

We secured PP for a a lot of work to our house. New roof, attic, rear extension etc.

Due to funds and family requirements, we had to and could only get on with half of the project. So we did the roof and attic. Part 1 if you want to call it that.

Our architect issued Commencement Notice and we paid the Development Contributions for the FULL project. DCC were not set up to split this on a domestic project. Anyway, it got built and our architect issued a Compliance for the works done. But noting that the works are 50% complete, so partial compliance.

Anyway, we want to get on with the remainder of the project. Part 2. He has now reissued his fee, which in effect is for the second half as if it was a standalone project again. So we are paying now twice. He's entitled to this. I fully agree. It was us that decided to press ahead with the first half, but the fees are a big number, in total and will amount to 17% of the total project cost. We need every euro to work for us.

I have a lot of connections and friends in the construction sector, who will help with doing some tender drawings, BOQ, structure design and oversight, detail design etc. And we feel we know enough and are clued in enough to deal with the builder directly.

However, what we can't do is tie off the Compliances at the end. I can photographically record the build before closing up and get certs and insurances from the builder and his subbies.

Can I gather all this and have a 3rd party issue an 'Opinion' on compliance for the remainder of the project? Would this be just as good?

Our only focus is that when we go to sell the house, that we have all this to protect value of the works done. But that won't be for 30 years, when myself and other half are taken out in boxes!

Just looking for a view on getting a separate 3rd party to do it. Given the info I'll have to hand. How both sets will be different in a way. And also how will solicitors and banks view the FULL pack that we can offer.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

We secured PP for a a lot of work to our house. New roof, attic, rear extension etc.

When was planning granted?

our architect issued a Compliance for the works done. 

What sort of compliance? Compliance with planning, compliance with building regs etc?

He has now reissued his fee, which in effect is for the second half as if it was a standalone project again. So we are paying now twice. He's entitled to this. I fully agree. It was us that decided to press ahead with the first half, but the fees are a big number, in total and will amount to 17% of the total project cost.

It's not clear what the fees he has issued are for? 17% sounds very high. But may be complexities involved. Did the original fees includes a fee schedule?

Can I gather all this and have a 3rd party issue an 'Opinion' on compliance for the remainder of the project? Would this be just as good?
    Our only focus is that when we go to sell the house, that we have all this to protect value of the works done. But that won't be for 30 years, when myself and other half are taken out in boxes!

How are you funding the project?
    Do you need to provide any proof of compliance at this stage. If not, have you considered opting out of BCAR? There is more than buildings certificates needed, and friends may be able to provide tender drawings, structural design etc, they might be be able to certify those designs/drawings.

Planning permission is a separate compliance. Very easy to issues an opinion on compliance at the end based on a visual inspection

Advertisement