Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I teach French?

Options
  • 26-04-2024 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I did a maths degree in the UK followed by a PGCE and I stuck out long enough to become a qualified primary school teacher.

I then moved to France and having done their weird "competition" to become a secondary school teacher I now teach English.

My question is... If I were to go back to Ireland, do I have to register with the teaching council as a maths teacher even though I've never taught secondary maths? Or is there a way I can register to teach English/French?

Any info would be most appreciated.

Min

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭iniscealtra

You can teach primary if you have a PGCE and got your qualification recognised in Ireland.

To teach French or English at second level you need a degree in those subjects and a Secondary Education teaching qualification which is a Masters now. You would need the masters in Education to teach Maths as well. You could probably sub in Maths at second level with a degree.

Talk to the Teaching Council they will be able to advise you.

Advertisement