Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW F30 335d swapping from runflats

Options
  • 26-04-2024 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've had 225/40R19 front and 255/35R19 rear F1 Eagle Asymmetric 3 runflats on my F30 3 series for the last 3 years, at 4mm tread all around now with a bit less on the inside of both rears so it's time for a new set. Got from 100,000ish to 140,000km with them.

I've been happy enough with these but have felt the difference on other cars going from runflat to standard so would anyone have any recommendations of what to go to?

And would anyone have a recommendation where in Limerick or Galway would be good to either bring my own tyres or have them order and fit them without giving me grief about not wanting whatever tyres they have in stock?

Should I just get non runflat Asymmetric 6s?

https://www.tyreleader.ie/car-tyres/goodyear/eagle-f1-asymmetric-6/1443228-1343330?vehicule=8479&source=vehiculeSizeSearch

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭User1998

Michelin Pilot Sports are great. I’ve only used PS4’s but you can also get PS5’s now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭User1998

Hankook Ventus Prime 4 are good too and should be cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Thanks, can't see hankook ventus prime 4 any of the places I'm looking but the price differences don't seem to be massive on the higher end hankooks I can see on Openeo vs the Michelin or Goodyears

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 255/35 R19 96 Y XL, FP

170.44€

https://www.oponeo.ie/tyre/goodyear-eagle-f1-asymmetric-6-255-35-r19-96-y-xl-fp#480773591

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 225/40 R19 93 Y XL

https://www.oponeo.ie/tyre-model/goodyear-eagle-f1-asymmetric-6

Michelin Pilot Sport 5 255/35 R19 96 Y XL

https://www.oponeo.ie/tyre/michelin-pilot-sport-5-255-35-r19-96-y-xl-zr#480192864

Pilot Sport 5 225/40r19

https://www.oponeo.ie/tyre/michelin-pilot-sport-5-225-40-r19-93-y-xl-zr#477810095

choice

front price

rear price

total

michelin ps5

goodyear Asy 6

difference

Decent difference between the two and online reviews seem to basically say the Michelins are better but not worlds apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 blackwrx

I changed from Goodyear runflats last year to Kumho PS71's last year on a E90 330d. I has always had Goodyear runflats on it as long as I have had it (7+ years) and was apprehensive about changing to the non runflat Kumhos. I didn't need to worry. Initially I notice the car was not as stiff due to the softer sidewalls. But after a week I didn't notice it anymore. I find the Kumhos grip levels excellent in the wet or dry. And of course they are considerably cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What sort of annual mileage are you doing?

I always had Eagle F1s on my 430d but since Covid my annual mileage has dropped dramatically. Also like everything the price of tyres has increased dramatically especially with premium brands. I found it hard to justify the extra cost given my mileage so I switched to mid range Falken FK520s after doing some research on them and have been very happy with them. Falken are well established so not some cheap Chinese branded ditch finders. I find very little difference in their performance over the F1s in the last year or so for my driving on them. No idea how they would fair on a awd more powerful 335d or if you are doing alot of mileage but I've never had any issues with spinning on take off or screaming for grip pushing through a corner. They are wearing quite good too but again my annual mileage is pretty low these days.

https://www.tyreleader.ie/car-tyres-225-40-19/?s=S&m%5B46%5D=on&orderby=prix
    https://www.tyreleader.ie/car-tyres-255-35-19/?s=S&m%5B46%5D=on&orderby=prix

I stuck with run flats as the peace of mind of reducing the chance of being stuck at the side of the road. I had two punctures in the last 12 months and being able to continue to drive to a garage to have them patched was a blessing. Bought a portable compressor to just top up the tyre for the journey.

If your looking for some place in Limerick to fit tyres bought online then I get mine fitted by Ballysimon Tyres. Never got any grief or guilt from them for getting online tyres, always found them pleasant and accommodating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Did you buy Jack & space saver wheel? If so can you say where you got them and did you add a tray under the boot to house the wheel? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

thanks bazz and long time no speak. I'm not doing a lot of driving now but unfortunately WFH is over for me for the last year. My work commute is 4km. Round trip to the city is about 40km. Annual is about 13k KM. Have the car since September 2020 at around 100,000km, barely drove it during covid and now it's at 140,000km. Still lots of 130km e/w journeys outside of the work week so it's still getting to regen dpf regularly.

I had briefly thought about swapping to something mild hybrid to cover the shorter trips, but the numbers just didn't make sense at all. Might be something for me to put in the what car should I go to next thread. I could be moving house too so I'd end up with a 25km daily commute each way which could actually make something plug-in maybe worth it while values on the 335d are as strong as they'll ever be unless I want to keep it forever.

I don't want to jinx anything about punctures but yeah I have fully appreciated that in the back of my head that I would be able to limp off the motorway with a puncture on runflats. Other than that it would be breakdown assist because I won't have a space saver either. It's a big tradeoff especially with passengers.

The choice is really non-runflat Asymmetric 6 at €690 or runflat Falken FK520 at €670. I think I'll write off the Michelins from reading reviews, they're better by most accounts but when people are mentioning track days that's where I know the differences must be meaningless to me as my car is never being brought to an actual track.

The Falken FK520's seem to have very good reviews, I'm still leaning away from the runflats a bit, not that I've been particularly unhappy with the current tyres but they really aren't confidence inspiring, I really have no idea when the car is going to let go and it seems random every time.

Will try ballysimon tyres I always see their vans out on the road doing roadside work so good to know they're sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm very similar, wfh since Covid too and the car has only 130k km on it but will be going back to a few days a week in the office soon enough, however my commute is more time consuming than actual distance. Was thinking of changing it and going EV, I have my eye on the i4 M50 but asking prices are still too strong on them. The uncertainty and turbulence in the EV market has made me keep what I have for now and see how things play out.

If there is only €20 or so in the different between the Goodyear and Falken in non run flat then I'd probably just go with the Goodyears. When I was buying mine over a year ago there was well over €100 difference between the two brands in run flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 blackwrx

Bought a 2nd hand space saver spare wheel with jack and wheel brace all in a kit bag from a guy on adverts.

Advertisement