Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

US Imports and the NCT

Options
  • 26-04-2024 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭

Whats the craic with US imports and the NCT ?

The lights etc wont have 'E' marking on them.

How do people get them to pass the NCT, i presume theres a way , as there are a lot of US cars in Germany (cos of US military bases) that make their way onto the German second hand market. And i'm pretty confident that the TÜV is a lot more strict than the NCT.

i dont have a US car, but its a pipe dream

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I believe that once it has an IVA, that covers things like the lights. The E markings etc are to meet the EU certificates, the IVA basically replaces that.

There's absolutely nothing in the manual that I can see, and the manual covers plenty of other edge cases (like the bits to skip on a rotary)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭mikeecho

apologies for my ignorance.. but whats an IVA. . i'm guessing international Vehicle A??

and how would one go about getting an IVA?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Individual Vehicle Approval. Process needed for any cars without EU certs, including kit cars or extensively modified cars.

https://www.nsai.ie/certification/automotive/national-type-approva/iva/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Thanks L011

I have a relative in the US, who will most likely be returning back to the auld sod in a few years, and the thoughts of getting a muscle car brought in tax free was on my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

As someone who imported a few myself, don't bother with IVA, very very difficult process.

Most stuff is fine, all you'll have to change is the tyres IF they don't have the marking and the rear indicators if they are red and not amber.

• Advertisement
Advertisement