Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBI - fibre only running halfway up lane

Options
  • 26-04-2024 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

My Eircode shows as up on NBI website with completion Jan-Jul 2025. The was survey done last year(where I specifically mentioned the location of the boxes on the lane) and in the last weeks the guys have laid fibre cable to the last pole on our rural lane, and then this week they were digging and laying cable beside the road.

I asked one of the lads jokingly, "don't forget about my house", as they were halfway from the pole to my house and he said, well, this here is the last box where we will run the cable. I asked him how I would get connected and he said that that was "up to the installer".

I don't understand why the cable couldn't be run through to the last box on the lane (beside my house- see drawing below), nor how they will connect me (and my direct neighbours) now. The old Eircom line runs all the way down and there are ducts to house 3 and 4 from that box, so it makes no sense to me ( House 5 was built later).

Is this a case of me thinking this through to much and the installer will just fix ? It is baffling to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Maybe they're running the cable overhead to the remaining houses, especially house 5.

Cheaper to put in a few of their own poles than put in a duct to house 5. There is an annual cost per metre to reuse eir's ducts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

You are thinking too hard about it

Whatever provider you gonwith will do the "last mile" connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭User567363

Keep checking your eircode and pre order as soon as its available just in case there is not enough connections for everyone

All existing properties will have a planned connection in the rollout, with redundancy built in for future builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

each 'box' has multiple ports on it, think its 8. so essentially 8 houses can connect to one 'box'

box = fibre distribution point

i dont think you will have an issue, you say ducted to 3-4 so likely the main fibre line will follow same path. they wouldnt have put in a FDP next to your house without a plan to connect you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

In my case "box" is and old Eircom distribution box with ducts going to houses that I thought would be re-used for fibre.

Anyway I go with the "I am overthinking it " and will see what happens. Thanks to those that replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭The Ging and I

The joys of contractors. They just do whats on the job list.

In any case fibre from a DP can run up to 500m.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

oh, so the DPs arent installed yet ? google Eir DP and its the first image result, albeit is eirs version of a DP, NBIs one is slightly different but similar

so even if only one DP gets installed on a pole by house 1 or 2 then it likely could serve 4 and 5 also

its also possible the DPs can be installed in manholes, so not visible

That "Eir DP" has not arrived yet at the last pole, so I guess it was only cable that was laid so far. House 1 and 2 don't have a pole, only underground boxes , which maybe you refer to as manholes ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ours comes from a pole, there seems to be a number of poles before it gets to us.

Around my area where fibre is run underground and where there is no underground ducting to a property from the chamber they will mount a lonesome pole beside the chamber to feed the property with fibre overhead.

I assume based on your diagram house 5, has no underground ducting to the last chamber, in this case a pole will be installed nearby to run fibre across the road, if they choose to connect.

That makes total sense.. what in my mind doesn't is that the fibre is not run to the the last chamber/box so will they erect poles from house 2 to house 3/4/5 ? Could they use the existing ESB Poles , or are these utility companies very territorial ?

How the last mile of fibre will be run will be in the design team's plan for your area and isn't available publicly, so all guesswork until the rollout begins.

As for the poles, they don't use ESB poles. Where eircom poles and ducts are available they have an agreement in place to use them for an annual charge. If new poles are required NBI will install them.

Advertisement