Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone 2gb install but engineer installed gigabox - speed limited to 1gb

Options
  • 25-04-2024 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've just had a Vodafone 2 GB broadband connection. The engineer installed it yesterday. However, I can't get faster than 1 GB connection speed via a Mac studio directly connected to the router over ethernet (internal 10gb port, appropriately configured). The router is a gigabox, not a gigabox+. My reading suggests that the Gigabox router is limited to 1gb port and 1gb wan. I've also read about the need for an SFP+ module. I've also read that the gigabox+ router is configured with appropriate speed ports and WAN connection for 2gb+.

My question is, should Vodafone have delivered and installed a gigabox+ rather than a gigabox router? If so, how do i go about getting this sorted out?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,486 ✭✭✭✭guil

You will need to ring Vodafone and ask why

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Definitely sounds like you got the wrong router. The installer is supposed to do a speed test before finishing up, which makes me wonder if they either didn’t bother, or erroneously thought they were doing a 1 gig install. I wonder what ONT you have, is that also the 1 gig one?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

Your Mac has the correct port I assume?

You need three things.

Router that can support the speeds and relevant port.

Lan cable that supports the speed

Device that has a port which can support the speed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Souns like they just supplied the wrong router , a phone call should sort it.

As an aside, the stupid names they give to the equipment, gigabox....ffs.

Personally I'd take that out of the equation and purchase my own router with an sfp module.

Advertisement