Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PicRights - Unlicenses Use of Imagery

Options
  • 23-04-2024 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello

I work in a small business and we have just received a number of letters from PicRights due to the use of an unlicensed image in one of our SM posts. The image may be unlicensed and the post has been removed (it was from a few years ago). PicRights are sending us letters on a monthly basis demanding we pay them a fee! Has anyone else had any dealings with them - looking them up online there are all sorts of reviews about them particularly in the states.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Probably working on behalf of the photographer whose work you nicked. If you used the image, you should probably pay the author?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

From what I've heard, they're copyright trolls. They apparently hounded a catholic parish for having a picture of the pope on their website. 👀👀👀 They claimed it was from one of the news agencies (AP or Reuters).

The person who told me said that they don't actually have the rights to chase on behalf of those organisations, but that they likely do toss a few % their way when people pay up, but keep the vast majority of it for themselves.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

On the other side of the coin there are plenty of people that use these services very legitimately to chase people that use their intellectual property without permission….as the OP appears to have down. Having a small business doesn't make them exempt from copyright laws.

OP, what payment are they seeking?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭jbv

I would just completely ignore it if the post had been removed. I was in a similar situation. I was advised to ignore it. I didn't get in touch with them and eventually stopped.

Advertisement