Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granny Flat Leasing/Airbnb

Options
  • 22-04-2024 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am considering buying a property that either has an attached granny flat or one at the rear of the garden, and either Airbnbing it for short term stays or long term leasing it.

I have a few questions around the rules.

I know you can rent out your entire property short term for 90 days per year or unlimited if the stays are over 15 days.

However, would this qualify like renting a room on airbnb and therefore could do it year round?

I am thinking the difference would be whether its attached or not to the main property. Below is what I think:

Attached = like a room so can airbnb year round on short term stays as long as it is connected to your property via a door (same as if it was a room in your main residence) or a long term tenant lease (not a rental agreement but a licensee).

Not attached = can't do short term stays/airbnb/licensee as it isnt attached to your property.

Would this be correct?

If so, if I was airbnbing/leasing out the not attached granny flat, what would be the likely outcome?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Airbnb doesn't qualify for rent a room tax relief.

The granny flat must be connected to the property to be eligible for rent a room tax relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

There's no way around income tax for airbnb

Advertisement