Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cargo bike on Dublin/Galway train?

Options
  • 21-04-2024 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Any chance of getting a cargo bike on the Dublin/Galway train? My brother and I are planning a cross-country trip but we'd love to get the train one way… He has a Yuba Kombi e6 which is 1920mm long, the Irish Rail website says max length 1800mm. However I have read elsewhere that longer bikes are allowed on to trains which have a separate area for bikes, rather than the racks in the passenger carriages. Also saw that new carriages with more bicycle space have been brought in recently. Not sure if any of that applies to the Dublin-Galway route, would appreciate any up-to-date information. Should say that I will be on a regular road bike, the plan is for him to carry my luggage!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ULEZ23

sorry don’t have an answer but best of luck with the trip, sounds awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It would be tight but you should manage it at a slight angle, bring a bungee cord to hold it in place and turn the front wheel sidewards and bungee it to the rail so it doesn't fall. I'll try and measure it with a tape tomorrow evening for you

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fader123

thanks a million, really appreciate all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Are you planning on travelling during peak summer season? That might make it a little more difficult if there are other cyclists and may attract the attention of a 'jobsworth' IR steward. Otherwise you should be ok.

• Advertisement

Just make sure it's pre-booked, that gets you around most of the jobsworths, although not all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

If this is the bike then you might be in a small spot of bother. I think the top of the rear carrier is going to be an issue as you have to put the bike at a stupid angle in the trains (see photo from Patsy167 above). It will butt off the wall and it's possible the front wheel will then be over the top of the rack.

Also, it's tight getting the bikes into the carraiges themselves as the bend from the vestibule in to the main seating area is really tight.

Maybe it will work.

Bus Eireann take bikes for a €10. They have to be either in a carboard box, or packed in such a way that they won't interfere with other peoples luggage.

Alternatively there are plenty of companies transporting stuff from Galway-Dublin each day, maybe give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Take off the front wheel. It'll fit then

• Registered Users Posts: 41 breadevery

I've a very similar bike. Brought it on the train once but as others have said, getting in on and off, particularly through the inner door on the cartriage is tricky. Also, if yours is like mine, the rear mech is very low, and with the stands on the train, there was only one gear on the bike that put the mech in a position that kept it safe from getting damaged by the stand

• Registered Users Posts: 24,436 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ast over in the transport forum. Those lads know every class of train running.

From what I remember reading that forum the new "goods carriage" trains are on 99% of the Cork-(Limerick)-Dublin trains but not on any other line.

It will be tough getting an extra large bike on and into the space. Probably won't have a problem with staff on the Galway side but Heuston station has lost the run of itself security wise.

Bikes on Bus Eireann do not have to be packed. But the driver can refuse you if the luggage space is full and also a lot of those new TFI (green/yellow) coaches have no luggage compartment and im almost certain there are no Bus Eireann to cities like Galway who are served by train and private coach.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cork/Dublin line 100% has a guard/goods carriage which will take a large cargobike like a R&M Load 75.
    No idea about Galway line but I know the Waterford line certainly doesn't sadly :(

The odd Cork/Dublin still doesn't but most do and they really are so much handier than those in carriage racks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I know it lists the inter city routes but I was under the impression that these would be used for the Dublin commuter trains and not the longer routes.

That was very much the impression from the twitter video posted with Eamon Ryan, the longer thean the DART but still technically commuter lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

That refers to 41 more ICR coaches, which will be added to the existing ICR trains to make them longer.

I have not heard any way of knowing which set will be lengthened.

There are 63 ICR sets.

Advertisement