Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uneven Double Sockets on Kitchen Splashback - any easy way to adjust the height of faceplate?

Options
  • 20-04-2024 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping the brain trust of boards.ie can help.

I bought a new build house about 5 years ago. Kitchen and electrics were done and I was happy with them. I didn't notice shortcuts had been taken until I got the splashback tiled last week.

As soon as I saw the finished product I noticed right away that the sockets along the splashback were installed 2cm lower than the one to its right. It wasn't noticeable as the sockets are level - but with the grout and the tiles you can see them gradually getting lower and closer to the countertop. Gas thing is the trend continues on neighbouring walls and into the utility room where there's a difference of 8cm!

To be sure it wasn't the tiler that arsed up (aside from not bringing it to my attention before he tiled over the complete lot of the splashback) I measured the height of the sockets to the floor and yeah, there's a discrepancy.

So these sockets are standard, low cost white double sockets that don't even have covers on the screws - is there any alternative faceplate or adapter out there that I can get that can let me somehow adjust their position up and down, even slightly, without having to go down the road of taking down the tiles and getting an electrician in who can make the necessary adjustments?

The fact that they're so close to one another and are not evenly parallel to one another is wrecking my buzz.

Thanks all. Apologies for the rant!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

There might be a bit of play up and down to level them out a bit

Should have been done at 1st fix stage obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

2cm is a lot. I doubt there is any face plate that will cope with that. Place a plant or toaster in front of one set?

Didnt see the 2cm

The deeper to the lugs the more play up and down

A lot depends on tiles too if they're cut tight they can restrict movement

Stud wall slabbed is easier cos u can adjust the actual box height

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭eggy81

It depends on how long the faceplate screws are. As in if the boxes behind are shallow or chased in deeply into the wall then you would need longer screws to reach back to the little threaded lugs. The longer that gap the more play you’ll get so making it possible to adjust the higher ones down and the lower ones up to disguise the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Hi all

Thank you for the replies. I wasn't expecting so many so soon after posting.

Unfortunately the splashback is on the block built part of the house. I've disconnected the power and loosened the screwed on some of the sockets and yes, there's movement, but no more than 3 or 4mm. It does help, but sadly not enough.

It bugs me because I didn't spot it when it was a simple white painted wall back when I moved in. The snagger didn't spot it either and has told me that an 'it'll do' approach is often taken to building houses. tbf he spotted a heap of things wrong with the house at the time, which he made sure were fixed, so I won't hold this against him! :)

I was hoping that this would be something common and that a company might have taken advantage of the 'opportunity' and released some sort of socket that is easy to disguise any 'flaws', so to speak.

Sounds like the only solution is to take down the splashback. Had I gone for a vinyl finish as opposed to tiles I wouldn't have even noticed it!

Thanks again all for your help in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

it’s possible to re drill the back box and put longer screws straight into the newly drilled holes

Advertisement