Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do next for my dog?

Options
  • 20-04-2024 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭

My dog is 12 years old. He’s a mixed breed. He’s been rushing to get out to wee and poo the last couple months but then struggling to actually go when outside. Brought him to the vet a couple times. He was given painkillers, antibiotics and antiinflammatories. His blood and urine screenings came back clear. Nothing seems to work for him, I've put him on a grain free diet too. He’s now fully incontinent. Is there anything I can do to help him with this? Is there anything Im missing here for him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Stupid question perhaps, but what does the vet say, in light of no improvement and no obvious test results?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

They suggested another course of antiinflammatories. That's going to start again Monday but I get the feeling they are not getting the severity of the issue and are just plastering over a wound. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something, they don't seem overly concerned about it.

There used to be some really great posters on the pet threads with a lot of experience and knowledge of dogs, but I'm not sure if they stuck around after the software changed a couple of years ago.

I know there's medication for incontinence in dogs, but I've no idea if it's relevant to your situation. Sorry I can't be more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

Thanks for this, I'll ask the vet about medication for incontinence

Something else that occurs to me is whether it could be dementia? I don't know whether that could fit with your description but maybe you could bring up that possibility too with the vet when you see them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP trust your gut - you know your dog best. If you’re not happy with the vet it’s ok to go elsewhere. Some vets are just not clued in / interested in older pets imo and some are not interested in listening to owners. There’s tons of NSAIDs and alternative types of pain relief so you should be able to find something that works. My old boy was 14 when he died and by then I’d assembled a team of vets, nurses and physios to help me give him his best life. It’s hard caring for an older pet but so rewarding because it makes you realise how precious our time is with them.

Advertisement