Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exact steps to follow when slowing down

Options
  • 19-04-2024 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am preparing for test, have been a drive in another country for a decade, yet 1st test here, was too difficult due to bad habits over the years. Kindly help me with my doubts below.

When you approach a junction, or need to slow down, and you are in 3rd.. is below the correct way

1. Left foot off clutch pedal already, Apply brake gently
    2. At appropriate slower speed, if junction is far, switch to 2nd gear, foot off clutch, and continue decelerating
    3. If at much slower speed, if should stop, apply brake bring car to stop, then press clutch, switch to 1st gear, pull hand brake
    4. If at much slower speed, if to continue, accelerate

The 3rd step is most difficult, because we do not know when we might have to stop (unless we see a Red in time for ex).. how do you decide between risking stalling or coasting here.. My car gives jerk if I directly apply brake, it goes down slower speed than it should be in 2nd gear, and I avoid clutch unless I am stopping so I now risk stalling..

Is there any standardized guide published on how to handle this situation exactly? because, people say, avoid stalling and also coasting, but that is a delicate balance. If I do not use clutch after brake, I risk stalling. If I used, but did not switch down gear, I could be named as coasting..

Back in my country, given its heavy traffic crowd all the time, frequent gear change, my brain has been over a decade, trained to automatically choose or be ready to change gears, so legs easily on clutch often, and hands on gear which seem very early and unnecessary here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Stay in whatever gear you are in , let's say third, brake almost to a full stop before pressing clutch and engaging neutral gear. Don't bother descending through the gears simply to reduce speed. That is not a requirement of the driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DRedford

When I did my test and lessons, I'd be told:

• Press brake, leave in gear
    • Once slowed down to the point the engine is about to start lugging/jerking press clutch
    • Be prepared to shift down to 2nd (if not already in it) in case the traffic starts moving again
    • Once down to a speed you can't accelerate from in 2nd, but traffic starts moving again:
      • 1st gear and ride the clutch to keep it smooth OR
      • stop and move off from 1st
    • If stopped, neutral and handbrake
      • if you see traffic starting to move off again:
        • Into 1st, foot on clutch, hand on handbrake ready to release it and go.

do not ever put the car in neutral when you’re moving during the driving test. If you coast they will fail you immediately. And you can be marked on gear shifting if you jump from 3rd to 1st. Most testers don’t care but you will get the odd one.

OP approach junctions in second and prepare to stop but if the way is clear you can continue. Shift to 3rd once you’re through the junction.
    if you need to stop then it’s a simple push up on the gear stick to move into first.

you don’t need to go neutral and handbrake unless you will be stopped for a while. Usually it’s actually better to stay in first and be on the bite ready to move off at any available opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭GTTDI GOD

obviously only if it is a yield junction and not a stop junction!!!

yes. If it’s a stop sign (or stop line) you must STOP completely!!
    the car has to come to a complete stop at or just before the stop line (or stop sign if there’s no markings).
    Even if there’s no one for miles in either direction if you don’t come to a complete stop you will fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mac167

It's fine to coast a bit if you are approaching a STOP junction. Apply the brakes gently with whatever gear you are, when you have slowed down enough to lower rev range, thats when you apply the clutch to coast to the stopping point (which I assume should be quite close by now).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Be clear 'coasting' means travelling with the clutch down rather than in gear. Do not do it. Only have the clutch down when the engine is about to stall, which means you are nearly stopped.

You do not need to go down through the gears as you slow down - brakes are cheaper than gear boxes and clutches.

Never ride the clutch. When you are stationary, hold the car with the foot brake and clutch fully depressed, or the hand brake on - which ever is appropriate. You will destroy the clutch. When you are about to move off, the clutch foot should hit the bite point momentarily while the brake foot moves across to the accelerator. This should be smooth and almost unnoticed.

You should be able to drive at a constant 50 km/h and be able to change gears smoothly from 2nd to 3rd to fourth and back again without jolting or any changing of speed. The means you adjust engine speed as you change. Your clutch foot should be able to accurately go from fully down, to bite point to full up, without any hesitation. This can only be achieved by lots of practice to get the muscle memory up to scratch.

Practice, practice, practice.

Good luck with the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

+1 to the above. I would add that for the test, it's very important to demonstrate that you are in complete control of the car, so going down the gears when slowing down is best to show that you're anticipating the upcoming stop/yield and in full control. Slowing down in a higher gear like third gives the impression that you're uncomfortable with gear shifting and risks a stall if you're not quick enough on the clutch as the revs drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭kirving

Have you got any driving lessons here? It's probably just something very easy to correct - so don't overthink it too much.

It's really about how natural you are with it. Years ago, when a few friends learned to drive, the instructor pushed them to change gears as they were slowing down, this led to them seeing is a requirement and furiously trying to change gears when they had to stop quickly, meaning a few near misses.

My instructor just repeated "Gears to go, brakes to slow". Do the braking first, as a priority. Then if you find you need to accelerate again, change into the correct gear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

An easy way to teach you clutch foot to know where the bite point is do the following.

In a quiet location - perhaps in a deserted level car park - stop the car with a clear unobstructed area in front, with the steering set straight ahead.

Start the engine and press the clutch to the floor and select first gear. Now, not touching any pedal except the clutch, or steering, gradually let the clutch up until there is a very slight drop in the engine note. That is the bite point. So hold that position for a second or so, then let the clutch up completely. The car will move forward without stalling.

When the car is proceeding gently, depress the clutch and press the brake to stop the car.

Now repeat it in reverse and return to your starting position.

After a good few tries, your left leg will know exactly where the bite point is. Do this at the start of any lesson at least two or three times, until you can do it automatically. When driving normally, change gear with a momentary pause at the bite point as you raise the clutch.

Practice, practice, practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 anniyan2929

From below youtube https://youtu.be/92zNVC_qKBE, what I learn is as follows. (I could not post as link due to being new member)..

1. [7:59 to 8:26],[13:27 to 13:53] When you approach a left bend/turn from far away, from whatever X gear, just few yards before the junction, brake to slow down, downshift to 2nd gear, and release both brake, and clutch, go on with foot on gas and turn. When your left foot is off clutch, and right foot is on gas, you should still have some yards left to make before turning.
    2. BUT when you do have to stop at junction [8:50 to 9:00],[14:19 to 14:32], brake to slow down, almost near junction, apply clutch, and stop. And then off you go as usual.

So take away is that, if you anticipate to turn without stopping, at bend/corner, brake in advance, downshift, go on with foot off the clutch. If you are going to stop, brake almost near the junction, foot on clutch, and stop.

Any difference of opinion here??

Advertisement