Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Endorsement on licence

Options
  • 19-04-2024 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,

Tahnks for help in adavnce. Five years ago I was arrested for drink driving. I accepted the fine and the six month ban without going to court. Received two penalty points which disappeared after three years. I rang NDLS whom said I would have an endorsemnet on my licence for ten years which means another five. Is this correct? I thought it would be gone with the penalty points?

Comments

that would be because the judge decided to endorse it for 10 years due to the severity of the offence I imagine.

endorsements also don’t become “active” until you’re reissued a licence. So the first 6 months when you were banned won’t count.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭bigroad

If you were only banned off the road for six months then I cant imagine why you would have an endorsement for 10 years ,have you commited this offence before.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tippman24

Have a look at the Road Traffic act 2010 which introduced the concept of Penalty Ponts for the lower Dri k Driving offences. The Penalty Points were replaced by a period off the Road by the Road Traffic Act of 2018. It does mention an enforcement about the points applied. I do recall a Garda Inspector telling me that one of the benefits of paying the Fixed Charge Notice was the avoidance of an endorcement. However, if the matter went to Court apart from points, you also got an automatic endorcement on the licence. In short if you received a fixed payment notice and failed to pay same, your licence was automatically endorced at Court decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 crazymirror20011

I didn't go to court. I paid the fixed penalty notice. I believe the penalty points were for dangerious driving as opposed to the drink driving fo which i got fined and banned but did not go to court.

Dangerous driving charges is a straight to Court offence. Conviction carries an endorsement on your licence. The RSA website gives the list of offences that attract Penalty Points. I am not sure, but I think upon conviction in the Court 5 Penalty Points can be applied to the licence, but the points stay on your driving record for a period of three years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Luna84

I was banned from driving for two years many years ago. It was the second time I was in court for a driving offence.(I was young and foolish) but anyway the endorsement was for three years after I got my licence back. The two previous banned years did not count for the endorsement years. It's also hard to get insured with an endorsement on your licence well it was back then anyway.

edit: I never heard of a 10 year endorsement. But maybe there is. I also think you got off light only receiving 6 month ban for a drink driving offence.

6 month ban on fixed penalty notice for drink driving. If you pay that you don’t have to go to court.

If you read the post etc, you will see the drink driving mentioned but later on there is a dangerous driving offence referred to. The Dangerous Offence is straight to Court and 5 Penalty points on conviction. Depending on the alcohol level and the status of the licence, you can get a fixed payment notice. ON payment it is either a three or six month off the road, but no endorsement on the licence.

O

Thanks. I called ndls whom confirmed that my endorsement only lasted for the six month ban. They were wrong the first time i called.

New question. Been banned form the road is not the same as the licence been revoked? Correct?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would have thought that they are different ways of saying the same thing.

Advertisement