Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish independent parent in talks to buy TheJournal.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Hopefully they shut it down. Awful left leaning bias and we've far too much of that in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,263 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say purchase price will be in the low digit single € coins.

The value of a potential deal is said to be in the “low single-digit millions”.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Shan Doras

They've had the begging bowl out looking for donations for a long time so things must be tough. I'm surprised that money is so tight tho considering they have much lower overheads than a legacy print publication

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Feck. More consolidation in media. The Examiner and Breaking News went to the Irish Times a couple of years ago.
    I know that they say the outlets will maintain their editorial independence but talk is cheap.

The consolidation is the effect of people getting their news from Social Media, YouTube, Telegram etc. Outlets just can’t survive. As an old fogey who still reads the papers and still uses boards, that world is alien to me. Fintan O’Toole wrote a column after the Dublin Riots pointing out that if you use the mainstream media now, you are in the minority. A shocking percentage of people get their news and opinions online from ‘citizen journalists’ and influencers.

Byline Times is a good outlet for anyone who hasn’t heard of it. They originally broke the Dan Wooton story among some other big stories over the last few years.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭sugarman20

Bye bye comment section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

They're closed a lot of the time anyway. Even for non-legal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,730 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Indo becomes the Conglo eh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

@hoodie6029 The consolidation is the effect of people getting their news from Social Media

Ireland enacted an EU Law in February, that could bring strong censorship on social media. Government's control of the narrative?

You mention an alternative site for news and thanks for that hadn't heard of it.

Example: -

Fact Checkers Slam Government Inaction on Political Deepfakes Ahead of General Election, Saying Laws ‘Not Fit for Purpose’

Full Fact has called on the Government to clarify how mis- and disinformation will be challenged in this pivotal election year

• Full Fact CEO Chris Morris told Byline Times: “The Government’s failed promise to tackle information threats has left us facing down transformative digital challenges with an analogue toolkit. An Online Safety Act with just two explicit areas of reference to misinformation cannot be considered fit for purpose in the age of AI.”

Unfortunately that article is behind the times and must be not aware of the new laws that are being enacted now.

Edit: Sorry! The site is an UK article so not governed by EU Laws ~ Brexit 

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

not hearing the voice of arseholes doesn’t mitigate the voice of arseholes, just stick your head in the metaphorical sand, it does the same job for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

The Journal is just a views papers for under 30s liberals. Can't be that many of them left, no wonder they're selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

It died as soon as they closed most of the comments. That was probably a big driver to the site, let's be honest the standard of journalism was nothing to write home about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I like the comments. The peoples’ view of the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

No great loss. Stories rife with factual errors and spelling mistakes. I'd say the average age of the journalists was 22.

The comments section is a cesspool.

I would say it only because popular as it had a better app and online presence before the larger outlets, and didn't require a sub.

I'm definitely in the minority, but I support measured efforts to reduce the amount of citizen journalists and talking heads. There are far too many cranks online peddling a one sided view of current events, and their opinions are influenced by revenue-generating views.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,689 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No more than the bigger outlets to be fair, or staff who are thinking ahead to wanting to move into a political staffer role down the line.

Anyway, the Journal is the last place I'd go for news myself and the big "please donate" ads make it even more off-putting so there's no loss here really if it ends up getting absorbed.

Advertisement