Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace storage heater system with Electric, possible?

Options
  • 19-04-2024 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello,

I understand I will need an independent assessment at some stage, but I'm looking at putting a bid into a house that is like the following

C2 ber rating, has solar panels to heat the water in place already. Two living rooms have Gas heating in them.

However all the other rooms in the house are using old storage heaters. The house is a large house, built about 20 years ago with decent insulation.

What would be the best option to replace the storage heaters, thinking more solar panels and going electric or would be this be so expensive, i should avoid the house.

thanks in advance, tried looking for a thread on upgrading from storage heaters, could not find one, but maybe i'm in wrong area.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

What's the source of your gas?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cronks

Its a external thank, that is piped to the two rooms. Its not on a main gas pipeline as would be in the city., I guess it could be expanded to pipe the whole house, but probably expensive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Merrion

Is the existing installation solar electric (pv) or solar thermal (tubes?)

They are PV solar panels

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

C2 is due to the PV panels and my guess is the assessor went with gas as primary heating/elec as secondary, which will give a better result than the reverse

Forget about more pv for heating, max demand is when min output

think about a heat pump

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your opinion, appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭3d4life

"…Its a external t ank…"

Do you know what you will be asked to pay for that gas ? Also, what will the annual charge ( 'rental' ) on the tank be ?

( about 15 years ago I had an arrangement like that … changed it for a heat pump. Back then Gas heating cost me circa 6k/year. When changed to heat pump cost was around 1.5k/year ).

I didnt know there would be a renatl on the tank, will need to find out thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

there will, the tank is likely owned by the gas supplier. It might be less than €100 per year though. I would be more interested in the unit rate.

When you say two rooms have gas heating - what does that mean - Water filled radiators heated by a gas boiler? Gas stoves? Gas open fires?

Storage heaters wouldn’t be the most cost effective means of heating, although there would be worse options.

If it’s a house you will live in long term, you will probably want to get these rooms piped and radiators fitted. It might be a good idea to over size the radiators to provide for low temperature heat pump in the future. I would likely favour an oil or gas boiler at the present time. Might cost 20k.

Advertisement