Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice and Query on next purchase.

Options
  • 19-04-2024 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Hey now,

Own a 2008 Ford Focus 1.4 petrol with a 177,000km, in great condition interior/exterior. Never given me any hassle, serviced at each interval. Next big job will be the timing belt.

This is probably an idiotic question (I’ve only owned two cars), but how long could I expect to get out of it? My commute is Bray to Booterstown for work, otherwise just groceries and trips with the dog/girlfriend.

If I were to eventually change cars can someone give me advice in what my next car should be (Not interested in electric). Budget of Seventeen grand, or thereabouts. Thinking of a Fiesta (Eco Engine?) or a Renault Clio.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nobody can predict how long you can get out of a car? Too many variables at play. Age, condition, mileage, maintenance all play a part but there are lots of unknowns too so no way to predict. Normally when a car starts costing you serious money in frequent repairs then it's time to think about moving it on.

177k km is pretty low mileage for the year and as you state it's been trouble free. You also know the car so I'd keep it going until it starts needing frequent money spent on keeping on the road. Remember that there are no guarantees with a newer car not been a lemon too so better the devil you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

Keep it. Theres no reason you won’t get another 177k km’s from it

• Registered Users Posts: 38 trindade

You have only owned two cars but you know that you should service with right intervals, it sounds like you are a good owner. The chances to get in trouble with the car are lower. If you do not want to change it while it's working fine, I suggest you to keep it as we cannot predict how long it will keep working.

Advertisement