Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does Car Mileage Affect Insurance?

Options
  • 19-04-2024 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys, i'm currently driving 120km mileage car toyota verso 2011 and i'm paying about 82euro monthly, but i am about to change to a different toyota verso 2015 but the mileage is about 272km, buying because it's very cheap. Will this affect my insurance? What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why do you think it would? Insurance companies don't cover mechanical failures or repairs so won't care what mileage is on the car. Once it has a valid NCT then normal insurance terms and cover apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

Definitely won’t effect your insurance. But why would you change from a car with 120km to 272km? Doesn’t seem like much of an upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gracepeters

4 years younger but 2x the mileage matters very little. The car just won’t last as long it’s that simple. I think if you just want a newer car you’re better off getting similar or lower mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

Regardless of the car, I wouldn't see a 120k km to 270k km car as an upgrade - but this is the same car.

One is 9yo, the other is 13yo - there really isn't much of a difference as they're both getting on a few year by now. If it were me, I've be keeping the 120k km car all day long.

• Advertisement

also sounds like it’s going cheap due to high miles I’d be worried what’s coming down the line.

272km is mad mileage for a 9 year old car

120km is very low for a 13 year old car

Your just asking for trouble imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭djan

Makes no sense to change given the huge jump in mileage. Age of car has less to do with longevity than mileage and timely servicing, don't get fooled by what's on the reg plate.

I also doubt a 7 seater Toyota Verso had an easy life going up and down the motorway 5 days a week like a lot of sales rep cars. I’d say its had a tough life doing school runs and local trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

good chance it is an ex taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 gracepeters

Was offered another Verso. But after checking the history, i discovered the following:

The vehicle was imported from United Kingdom on 19/11/2019

The vehicle was previously categorised as a Taxi.

Over a period of 7 years (age of vehicle) the vehicle was owned by 8 owners (3 UNKNOWN , 3
    GARAGE, 2 PRIVATE). 124,000 miles (199,559 km).

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

I don't know how the transfer of ownership works in the UK (or here tbh), but even 5 owners in 7 years is a lot.

Ask yourself why someone would change a car they were happy with and had no problems? Then ask why 5 consecutive owners would do it after an average of 18 months each? All I see is 5 owners running away from problems.

I could understand if it was a VW up! or Fiat 500 - a starter car that a new driver would grow out of, or something very high tax, or a sports car that turned out to be very impractical - but not a Verso.

Taxi's are simply a tool of the trade, they have a hard life. Lots of short runs, have more passengers and so carry more weight than your average car, they tend to spend a lot of time in cities.

Why do you want to up upgrade to the same car is my question really? Both of the potential cars have significantly higher milage than your own.

If it were different, or larger car, or even the updated model of a car, could see how sacrificing milage for coming up the years might be, but in your case I could never justify swapping for a higher milage model, even if it was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

If you own car isn't giving you any trouble stick with it, you could be just buying trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭phormium

Doubt it will have any effect on insurance, the annual mileage you do yourself has more impact as obviously the more miles the more risk.

But as others have all said it's a mad move, you're not really upgrading at all and running the risk of getting a car effectively heading towards it's end of life. If the one you have is running well and no problems then I'd keep it until a better deal comes along. Buying one with that sort of mileage is not a better deal, my brother has kept cars until they got to 400km but that said he was in control the whole time and knew exactly how it had been treated, he didn't buy them when they were already at nearly 300km

OP if you swap a car that’s running perfectly for an ex taxi you are a fool. I don’t mean that in a rude way but you’d be absolutely mad.

2015 is the updated model. Still doesn’t justify changing tho.

Advertisement